Us Immigration To Argentina Record In 2013

nikad

Registered
http://www.infobae.com/2014/01/24/1539208-la-inmigracion-los-eeuu-marco-un-record-historico-2013

If I were a retired Spanish speaking US citizen on Social Security, becoming an Argentinian citizen would make perfect sense. I could settle on a border town (near Paraguay), have full health care for free, cross the border every week to withdraw dollars, and live like a king.

Personal thought.
Ha Ha, at my age, would rather walk a mine field than endure the bureaucratic BS and the likes of an immigration lawyer in Argentina. Looked at it, took a few steps in the process and my thoughts were, life is too damn short to put up with this BS. Whatever floats your boat.

I went through the US immigration process myself and it was no walk in the part. I took "only" 6 years and tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees for my US residency to be approved. Compared to that, Argentinian immigration seems like a piece of cake.

I went through the US immigration process myself and it was no walk in the part. I took "only" 6 years and tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees for my US residency to be approved. Compared to that, Argentinian immigration seems like a piece of cake.
It is what you chose to do: USA residency. Really did not wish to make this a USA vs Argentina thing. WTF
Grumpy Old Man

It is what you chose to do: USA residency. Really did not wish to make this a USA vs Argentina thing. WTF
Grumpy Old Man

Comparative analyses are often useful, though I might decline to call this "analysis."

Grumpy Old Man

Neither was that my intention. Just showing that for someone that went through a much more complex process, coming here as a US retiree does not seem that complicated or painful. Economically speaking, seems like a no brainier. Specially considering the healthcare aspects of it.

Neither was that my intention. Just showing that for someone that went through a much more complex process, coming here as a US retiree does not seem that complicated or painful. Economically speaking, seems like a no brainier. Specially considering the healthcare aspects of it.
For myself, am very fortunate. Have a very generous retirement which includes health insurance from my former employer and covers me in a foreign country: BC/BS. Again, am very fortunate. Really, the big deal for me was the financial thing, it may have been in my head and my paranoia. When they started asking for financial statements beyond the required minimum requirement, my BS detector started ringing. I trust this government with my personal financial information about as far as I can throw them. Do understand how the less fortunate retirees than I would consider Argentina.

I wonder which is the place of Argentiina immigration in the region.

Perhaps someone who understands immigration policy better than I can enlighten me. According to that article, Argentina is intaking about the same number of immigrants per year as Canada, a country with a slightly smaller population (about 5 million less). One assumes that these are legal immigrants only. Canada has fairly few illegal immigrants, Argentina likely has many more. Canada is #11 on the UN HDI; Argentina is #45.

Canada has a selective immigration policy geared to educated professionals, skilled workers and family reunification of the former. Our big problem is too many people with degrees who can't get jobs because their credentials aren't recognized or they have poor English/French skills. Unless I'm mistaken, the immigrants coming to Argentina from Paraguay/Bolivia/Peru are overwhelmingly impoverished, with little education and few formal skills - among the poorer segments of society in their home countries. Access to social benefits in Canada is very limited for non-residents (citizens or landed immigrants), neither of which status is simple to get. It is my understanding that social benefit access in Argentina is comparatively easy.

With the villa miserias growing every year and populated (predominantly) by immigrants - is there anything I'm missing other than more poor = more K voters? (Granting all the while that some amount of unskilled labour is in demand for menial construction, domestic work, etc.) On the face of it, this seems like a major drain on gov't expenditure - I know that a larger population inevitably creates a demand for more jobs, but this can't be doing anything to rebalance the skills deficit.

But here I am trying to make sense (or sense of) ...

Back