US Military retiree EXPAT question

LogdeC

Registered
I am in the process of moving permanently to BsAs and have been trying discover what ever happened to the right that military retirees used to have for an APO mailing address at the local US Embassy.

I am aware that the Obama administration tried to nix this a couple of years ago, but, I thought that it was overturned.

Yes, I have contacted the US Embassy and they seem to have no clue.

Does anyone know if this service is still granted to US military retirees? 100% VA Rated as well.

Gracias en todos!

Logan

APO AA 34034 American Embassy, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Good luck

Answer found! The administration canceled this benefit worldwide by 2010. Retirees would need to find a local DoD facility (yeah, right!). I am providing the info for the blog in case it helps anyone else down the line.

REFERENCE:
A. DOD POSTAL MANUAL, 4525.6-M
1. US MILITARY RETIREE MAIL SUPPORT. EFFECTIVE 31 DECEMBER 2009, MAIL SERVICE TO MILITARY
RETIREES AND CONTRACTORS AT EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES WILL CEASE. RETIREES MAY TRANSITION TO
NEARBY DOD INSTALLATIONS FOR MAIL SUPPORT OR USE THE INTERNATIONAL POSTAL SYSTEM. ADVISE
RETIREES TO COMPLETE A USPS CHANGE OF ADDRESS FORM PS 3575 AND NOTIFY FAMILY, FRIENDS,
DEFENSE FINANCE AND ACCOUNTING SERVICE (DFAS), TRICARE, BUSINESSES AND MAGAZINE
SUBSCRIPTIONS OF NEW MAILING ADDRESSES.
2. POST OFFICES TRANSITIONING TO DOS. POST OFFICES CURRENTLY MANAGED BY DOD AT EMBASSIES
AND CONSULATES WILL BE TRANSITIONED TO DOS. DOS WILL REQUIRE DOD TO PAY FOR MAIL SERVICE AT
ALL OF ITS APPROXIMATE 50 LOCATIONS IN ADDITION TO SECONDARY DESTINATION TRANSPORTATION
COSTS. UNDER CURRENT LAW, DOD IS PROHIBITED FROM USING APPROPRIATED FUNDS TO PAY DOS TO
PROVIDE MILITARY RETIREE MAIL SUPPORT BECAUSE THAT WOULD VIOLATE THE ANTI-DEFICIENCY
ACT. RETIREES CURRENTLY RECEIVING MAIL ON MILITARY INSTALLATIONS OVERSEAS ARE NOT IMPACTED
BY THIS CHANGE.
3. TRICARE MAIL ORDER PHARMACY. TRICARE IS CONTACTING MILITARY RETIREES AND PROVIDING
OPTIONS TO ENSURE CONTINUED ACCESS TO MEDICATIONS. TRICARE WILL CONTINUE TO PROCESS MAIL
ORDER PRESCRIPTIONS THROUGH 1 DECEMBER 2009 TO ALLOW DELIVERY PRIOR TO 31 DECEMBER 2009.
AFTER 1 DECEMBER, RETIREES MUST FILL PRESCRIPTIONS LOCALLY AND FILE A CLAIM FOR
REIMBURSEMENT WITH TRICARE. ADVISE RETIREES TO VISIT WWW.TRICARE4U.COM FOR ADDITIONAL
INFORMATION.
4. DOS IS DISTRIBUTING OSD AND TRICARE NOTICES TO RETIREE MAILBOXES AT IMPACTED
LOCATIONS. MILITARY POSTAL SERVICE AGENCY IS COORDINATING A PRESS RELEASE THROUGH U.S. ARMY
PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR RETIREES MAY BE FOUND AT THE MPSA WEBSITE
AT HTTP://HQDAINET.ARMY.MIL/MPSA.

I wouldn't send anything in the mail from the U.S. to Argentina that contains an 'ATM' card, credit card, or something they can feel in an evelope(including too many letters at once) by USPS. UPS is safe but not USPS. I've had a Citicard stolen by regular mail. Yes, it can happen in the U.S. but it seems to happen more down here. UPS, DHL, and FedEx are much safer. DHL is more expensive. For out of the way smaller towns. UPS is cheaper but UPS and FEDex will 'sub-out' to other local Argentine carriers to finish the delivery to smaller towns including Bahia Blanca. DHL has an office in Bahia Blanca though. Regular 'paper only' letters by USPS, I've had no problems.
Mark V

Back