US Phone Number to use here

Supercharged

Registered
Hi Y'all
I need a US phone or maybe help figuring something out. I have had my US Skype number forwarded to places where I travel for over 14 years (yikes!!). However, I have a hard time using my paypal, etc with that phone even though I have Express VPN which has been helpful in most cases. Any takes? I do have a US address but no phone there now. I appreciate suggestions.

If the number is solely to receive verification texts and calls from banks and the occasional chat with customer service, I've found the best solution is to get a T-Mobile prepaid sim. 3 dollars a month gets you around 100 minutes/texts and after activating the sim you can put it in a spare/cheap phone and activate WIFI calling on it so that you can get US rates.

Then if I travel to the US I'll just activate one of T-Mobiles prepaid plans for that month.

Skype and other VOIP providers often don't get recognized as legit phones for this purpose, you need an actual sim/esim card line.

If the number is solely to receive verification texts and calls from banks and the occasional chat with customer service, I've found the best solution is to get a T-Mobile prepaid sim. 3 dollars a month gets you around 100 minutes/texts and after activating the sim you can put it in a spare/cheap phone and activate WIFI calling on it so that you can get US rates.

As far as I understand, T-Mobile outsourced this plan to UltraMobile.

Then if I travel to the US I'll just activate one of T-Mobiles prepaid plans for that month.

Skype and other VOIP providers often don't get recognized as legit phones for this purpose, you need an actual sim/esim card line.
Edu R; I've looked for that plan online and don't find it. Do you have a link possibly?

As far as I understand, T-Mobile outsourced this plan to UltraMobile.
TRUST ME...I have that plan, and it doesn't work even in Mexico! Also, they won't let me port my number back out to another carrier (which is illegal in the USA) ...they say they have no idea why it won't port. So now, to get rid of this service, I have to lose the number I've had for 15 years!

TRUST ME...I have that plan, and it doesn't work even in Mexico!
I trust you, but T-Mobile does not offer this plan to new customers. They probably maintain legacy plans.

I switched out of it last year, but it's not so much a plan as just the minimum amount of money you need to have at the beginning of the month if you have no other plans active.

If your line doesn't have even that $3 + tax they'll just deactivate it eventually.

Edit: I ported my number out of that plan, so not sure what's going on there.

Edit 2: yeah, it was definitely still T-mobile when I had it, not Ultramobile so I guess I can't vouch for everything working like I said, then.

Back