US Phone Number to use here

magicjack... a older internet phone service good to just use to call a bank or make a call and to have a usa number for basic info i think magicjack is 99 dollars for 3 years.... if you internet is decent it works well.....

helpful thanks
To make a 2nd comment regarding the original post, I also had issues receiving automated verication SMS. Google Voice and Google Fi suddenly not able to receive automated sms from USAA bank. Similar issue with IRS.gov not allowing setup using my reliable TMobile prepaid or GV. USAA was resolved by removing my numbers and adding again. Santander bank the same. I suspect all these numbers get added to some master list somewhere that all the telcos share to block forwarding SMS to bots. I even had a recent issue receiving automated phone calls from a local NY bank to a physical Verizon landline which has yet to be resolved.

Finally, many banks now will allow you to setup automated calls instead of SMS for verification. I have a VOIP line registered as a landline which does receive automated audio calls from Chase bank for verification.

I suspect all these numbers get added to some master list somewhere that all the telcos share to block forwarding SMS to bots.

Some companies just want to be sure that their customer is in the USA, so they don't send verification SMS to virtual numbers. Any virtual numbers - whether it is skype, or google voice, or magicjack, or any other VOIP provider.

I have not tried it myself, but I think any US provider that has "Calls over Wi-Fi" feature can be used to receive SMS abroad. Well, if your phone supports this feature. For android phones, it is usually "Wi-Fi Calling" option in the Settings.

There is, for example, free FreedomPop Walmart plan. There are also several providers that offer plans in 30 dollars per year range.

I believe, if you activate your SIM in the USA and turn on this "Calls over Wi-Fi" feature, you should be able to receive messages anywhere over the Wi-Fi (specifically over the Wi-Fi, when your phone is not even connected to a cell tower).

It should also be possible to drop your spare phone at your friend's place in the USA and set up some application to forward your incoming SMS to your Skype number (or to email).

Using Google Fi plan as carride suggests seems to be more straightforward. I didn't know that their plan can be suspended and turned on only to receive an SMS.

In 2015/2016 I brought my Vonage line that I was already using in New York. I'm still using the line.

Y
In 2015/2016 I brought my Vonage line that I was already using in New York. I'm still using the line.
I also used Vonage for many years. It is the ideal way to have a traditional landline handset to simply pickup when it rings or to place calls. No computer or cell phone required. It also works well to receive automated verification phone calls, though not the SMS issue which the OP asked about to start this thread.

If you need a U.S. number for receiving texts, try MySudo.com, about $1 per month, including disposable email addresses. Their website says for US only now, but I was able to sign up using my VPN.

For those with some techie skills, Twilio.com sells US numbers for $1 per month that you can do more with. Numbers in other countries are priced higher.

If you need a U.S. number for receiving texts, try MySudo.com, about $1 per month, including disposable email addresses. Their website says for US only now, but I was able to sign up using my VPN.

For those with some techie skills, Twilio.com sells US numbers for $1 per month that you can do more with. Numbers in other countries are priced higher.
Great!

Back