US Presidential & VP Debates

Conorworld said:
On Iran, I think the US (and Europe too) are doing the right thing in slowly squeezing Iran financially etc. This week's rial depreciation may be the beginning of the end. Regardless of whether or not Iran or Iraq have or had a nuclear programme or considered it, going to war the way the US under Bush Jr did was wrong. The financial tightening of the noose that is going on now is the better option because it could prevent an all out war if it happens and has the ability to cause an internal revolt against the Iranian regime so that the US does not get involved and is thus not blamed for war.

As for the presidential debates, in the matter of the Al Gore statement, I get the hint of humor in that. But he was right in one thing, he wasnt prepared. Obama has a handicap, he can be very hubristic and last night felt like that. YES you are the presidential incumbent and have proven yourself a good orator and are debating against a guy who has shot himself in the foot the past few weeks ("47%" etc), but don't think it will always go your way and that your facts will win the argument. One can say Nixon had better facts in 1960 and still lost. Charisma and content are needed and Obama was dangerously short of both.

Romney did a good job and I commend him for it. The main issue about last night was that Obama was unprepared and seemed hubristic and did not take out the big guns. Maybe it will be a slap in the face and make him think about the next one.

Usually it is the first debate that people watch and pass judgment on and I think the same. But Obama has the chance to learn from last night and make a forceful attack that will make headlines and get people on Youtube or whatever and watch and maybe change their minds.

Don't be so sure of that since that is what the world thought about North Korea too. However, I am hoping that it will destroy the Iranian economic capability.

As a guy who leans to the right I have been pretty apprehensive for months on last night's event. Given Romney's ability to deftly put his foot in his mouth I was sure that Obama was going to take him to the cleaners and the Republicans wouldn't stand a chance. I still think that Romney is pretty disconnected from the Average Jane/Joe but he was pretty clear on the subjects. I'm waiting to hear details of his 8-year plan to balance the budget. I'm non-partisan on that subject - the US waaaaaaay overspends.

Way back to the primaries I thought that of the four, Newt Gingrich was probably the smartest of all of them and has actual bi-partisan experience but quite the lose cannon. Rick Santorum was too conservative for me. Ron Paul probably had the best plan to get stuff done but was just not presidential. And Mitt seemed to be a Ken Doll. I was more impressed last night.

GS_Dirtboy said:
Way back to the primaries I thought that of the four, Newt Gingrich was probably the smartest of all of them and has actual bi-partisan experience but quite the lose cannon. Rick Santorum was too conservative for me. Ron Paul probably had the best plan to get stuff done but was just not presidential. And Mitt seemed to be a Ken Doll. I was more impressed last night.

Man did I enjoy the Republican primaries this year. What a great cast of characters...

You had Rick Perry running as George W Bush II -- but even stupider (remember the 3 agencies he was going to cut? No, that's ok, neither did he).

How about Michele Bachmann? She heard voices from God telling her to run for President. Since she didn't win the primary either (a) she's a liar (b) God was just f*cking with her or (c) she's insane.

Herman Cain. Nine nine nine. Sex scandal. Nine nine nine. Pizza. Nine nine nine.

I was rooting for Ron Paul, but he just never stood a chance. He doesn't have "the look". Also, the bankers will never let Ron Paul (or any true libertarian for that matter) become President.

el_expatriado said:
I was rooting for Ron Paul, but he just never stood a chance. He doesn't have "the look". Also, the bankers will never let Ron Paul (or any true libertarian for that matter) become President.

He would be assassinated before ever steeping into the White House.

bradlyhale said:
Moving on: For anyone who didn't get a chance to watch the "Democracy Now: Expanding the Debate" special, here's a link: http://youtu.be/BmNR_mYwVbc They posed the same questions to third party candidates. Gary Johnson's campaign turned down the invitation, which I thought was a shame.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian...cake_b_1938819.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

I just wish he could be involved. I'm just tired of picking the least likely to do too much damage. May as well use my vote on someone that gets it!!

camberiu said:
He would be assassinated before ever steeping into the White House.

Either that or they would contribute billions to the campaign of the other guy to buy the election. Either way there's no way they would ever let it happen. It would mean the end of the big banks.

nicoenarg said:
Don't be so sure of that since that is what the world thought about North Korea too. However, I am hoping that it will destroy the Iranian economic capability.

I think the difference between North Korea and Iran is that Iran actually has a functioning market economy and the government doesn't control the lives of its citizens as much as North Korea's communist regime does.

el_expatriado said:
Either that or they would contribute billions to the campaign of the other guy to buy the election. Either way there's no way they would ever let it happen. It would mean the end of the big banks.

And the end of the "military-industrial complex" too.

Back