US tax incentive (rebate)

sergio

Registered
It seems the much touted US tax (rebate) incentive will not apply to US taxpayers who live outside the United States. This apparently even applies to Social Security recipients outside the US. At least this is what retired American friends living in Mexico tell me. Does anyone out there have any information on this?

I scoured the IRS web site, and did a bunch of Googling, and could not find anything definitive. However, the IRS web site made it a point to explicitly include overseas U.S. possessions (e.g., Marianas Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam) under certain circumstances, so I'm inclined to believe that U.S. residents in countries like Argentina will **NOT** get a rebate.And if you think about it, it makes sense. The purpose of the rebate is to stimulate the U.S. economy, not the Argentine economy.

No...You will get the rebate even if you are an expat in Ar or somewhere else you must have a valid SSN and have qualifing income. Below are the only disqualifiers listed by the IRS.
A: You won’t get a stimulus payment in 2008, if any of the following apply to you:

• You don’t file a 2007 tax return.

• Your net income tax liability is zero and your qualifying income is less than $3,000. To determine your qualifying income, add together your wages, net self-employment income, nontaxable combat pay, Social Security benefits, certain Railroad Retirement benefits and certain veterans’ payments.

• You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. For example, this would include a child or student who can be claimed on a parent’s return.

• You do not have a valid Social Security Number.

• You are a nonresident alien.

• You file Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040PR or Form 1040SS for 2007.

Back