USA to Argentina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatsyn

Registered
I'm planning to move to Argentina from the USA.

IT'S A PLAN. =_=
I'm twenty-three years old.
I want to know what are the exact steps to moving to another country, finding a house/apartment and finding a job there.
Is it possible to do this before arrival or would I have to go there stay somewhere and look for a job?
I do not speak Spanish in the slightest. I wish to learn, though.
Do they speak much English there?
Is it possible for me to get a job there and learn Spanish while I work?
What are the steps of moving and so on?
Besides a passport and a visa~ I know that much. How do you get this visa?
I want to learn from someone who has experience and not from websites that I can't have a general discussion with because a lot of the websites don't give me correct input on the EXACT steps and where to start and such..
Do not give me that crap and tell me to look it up because I have looked it up and I have come up with nothing.

expatsyn said:
Do not give me that crap and tell me to look it up because I have looked it up and I have come up with nothing.

You might have looked on other websites but you have definitely not searched on this forum. The answers to all your questions can be found here.

Hello,
To answer your questions:
To relocate to Buenos Aires can be very difficult but not impossible for someone your age.
Upon arrival at EZE (the International airport) you will have to buy a 10 year visa for around $300.
Your best bet for finding a place to live before you arrive is to search the ads on this site & on Craigs List. The other option is to ask advise about the hostels. Again search this site.
Finding a job here is very difficult. If you do find a job it probably won't pay very well.
There are many people your age who do find a niche and make enough money to support themselves here. It can be tough to get a foothold & takes focus & determination. Teaching English, child care, tutoring, etc.
Yes, many people speak English here but come prepared to have some frustrations with your inability to speak Spanish. Start learning Spanish before you arrive.
Just being here will give you a start on learning Spanish
If you have enough savings to allow you to take your time in finding your way for the first three months or so would be ideal.
Buenos Aires is not the cheap destination that it once was...so be prepared.
Again, read everything you can on this forum and it will help.
Search the airfare sights for cheap flights. Don't wait till high season.
Best of luck.

I'm sure others will respond to your questions with more detail.

Your first problem is going to be the visa. You have to have a reason to live here if you want to actually be resident and not a perma-tourist. You can be a perma-tourist, but it is going to limit the kinds of work you can look for.

A perma-tourist is someone who lives here without a visa. While technically not "illegal", it is not a legal status in terms of ability to work at least. Some people (used to be me as well) take advantage of lax immigration policies (not laws - those are fairly well-defined) to leave and re-enter the country every 90 days to get a "new visa" (hence perma-tourist - they are thinking that each time they re-enter the country they are receiving a new visa as a tourist, but that's not so). There are a number of threads that beat this subject to death, and an immigration/citizenship attorney (bajo_cero) posted quite a bit of good information about why this is not a good thing to do. Just stay in the country and don't leave is the safest thing to do if you are going to be a perma-tourist.

Some people worry that immigrations may start cracking down on perma-tourists making the crossing to Uruguay, for example, to come back the same day and "renew" the visa. Therefore, doing the perma-tourist visa renewals puts you in the sights of immigrations if problems with this start appearing. The only reason to do it is to avoid the fine, which may not be worth it if you have problems.

If you do overstay your visa, when you eventually leave (even just to go to another country for a side trip), you have to pay a 300 peso fine. There do not seem to be problems (yet) with returning after having paid a fine for overstay.

Search Perma-tourist and spend some time slogging through the threads for details.

I mention all of this, because you will probably not have much of a choice about residency at first. You don't just "get residency" upon arrival. you have to qualify.

There are a number of ways to qualify. I don't remember all of them, but do a search on something like "qualify residency" and you can get the idea pretty easily.

You have to have some sort of investment or retirement income of a certain minimum, or you have to marry an Argentine or member of a Mercosur country who is a permanent resident in Argentina (what I did), start a business, etc. If you have skills that are in demand here, you might be able to find a company to sponsor your visa.

Additionally, you can get Argentine citizenship by staying in the country a certain amount of time, even without residency status. Review this thread for details:

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/1083...p-foreigners.html?highlight=qualify+residency

Getting citizenship may be more than you would want to do, it's a personal decision, but a way to normalize yourself in the country.

Living here is not easy for one without money. Many of us who live here permanently have income from our home countries. Many of us also do what you are contemplating, as in come here, look for work, have a great experience as an expat in a foreign country, learn Spanish, etc.

First, on a limited budget things are VERY expensive here. You can find share apartments where someone needs a roommate or has an extra room to rent, etc. Places here are smaller the cheaper they get, or if not smaller, then probably unsavory.

There are hotels that you can get rooms at for long-term living. Good ones are expensive, crappy ones are relatively cheap.

There are hostels where a lot of people stay.

A lot of people come here to live in temporary apartments. Buenos Aires has one the largest temporary apartment markets in the world it seems to me. But they can be expensive. I doubt you'd find much of anything cheaper than $400 USD a month, and that would probably be a cramped single room (studio) apartment. But I'm not an expert on that, having been out of the temporary market for almost 5 years now, but others can answer that.

You can't just rent a long term apartment here like you can in the States (as much as half the cost of temporary apartments - but you also have the cost of furnishing it. Temporary apartments are furnished), with a deposit and first and last month's rent. You need a guarantee for the contract. The guarantee is usually required to be another property tied to the contract, through which the owner of the apartment can recuperate losses in the event the person renting decides to stay forever and not pay any rent, or tear the apartment to pieces. Tenant laws here favor the tenant extremely and it's difficult to get someone out of an apartment if they decide not to pay rent. It's a serious problem.

Be here a while, make contacts, and you may find that you can rent a place without a guarantee. It may cost you a large chuck of money as a deposit in the best case scenario tough.

As for work - a lot of people come down here and teach English. A lot of people, it seems. There is a pretty big market for English teachers. I'll let others talk about that. But from what I've seen people post, it's a struggle to live here with that as your income source and no other backup, such as savings or some income from outside the country to back it up.

A search on jobs should turn up a ton of information about how people do it here.

The problem is that you cannot get any "good" jobs (good being relative anyway) unless you have a visa. See above on that issue. Therefore, you will be stuck making, probably, about the equivalent of $600 - 800 USD a month?

Things are getting a bit bad in the economy and politics here right now. Argentina tends to have some big cyclic swings and the neo-fascist Peronist government in power here in the Person of Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner (referred to by many as "The Queen" or "Kretina") is getting a bit restrictive. Inflation is running somewhere between 25 and 30 percent per year. Many common things like food and clothes have gotten relatively expensive. The government has put controls on currencies here trying to stave off big economic problems. You can't buy dollars, for example, if you want to save in anything other than what is becoming an unwanted currency (peso).

If you have money you're going to access in terms of savings, bring as much of it with you in cash as you can. The official exchange rate right now is 4.59 pesos to the dollar. On the black market here you can get over 6 pesos to the dollar - it's varying quite a bit in the last couple of weeks. If you use your debit card to get cash out of ATMs here, it will cost you dearly as you get the official conversion rate. You want to find places to change your dollars at the blue market rate (what the "black market" is called for currency) for sure.

The more Spanish you know before you come down here, the better off you are. There seem to be a ton of people that come down here that don't have much more Spanish than "gracias." Personally, I think that's a mistake, but to each their own. There are enough self-learning language options out there that you really should learn something first. You're coming to a foreign country for more than tourism - the more you can interact with them on landing, in their own language, the better off you are.

You should spend a good amount of time doing some serious research before you come, don't just jump off the deep end without knowing what you're getting into. While you're researching and planning, learn some Spanish. it doesn't have to be much, but the better base you have the easier it is to learn once you're immersed.

There is some English spoken here. Many people "learn" English in schools here (as well as other languages). Again, learn is relative. I have a sister-in-law in high school here who's friends have been learning English since they were 8 years old and most of them can't really converse at all. I know very well. Schools here for the most part are not very good, but that's a long story.

You can't depend on people speaking English here. But you can get by. I have a good friend, a multi-millionaire retired gentleman who literally has ten words of Spanish and can't pronounce those well enough to be understood half the time. He certainly has no problems :) Most expats I know, unfortunately, are not very good Spanish speakers and don't have much desire to learn. That's just my particular group of acquaintances though.

This is a complicated subject. You're going to have to do a lot of digging to figure it all out properly. You have to decide if Argentina is right for you now, in her current condition, or if some other place would be better.

Whatever you do, make sure you come with a round trip ticket and some savings, just in case...

Hello.

First suggestion is to check your attitude. The "I already checked and came out empty handed and don't give me crap" won't fly if you seriously want to move here and have any chance of success.

Researching this site is a piece of cake and demands little or no effort if you have the right questions already in mind, otherwise browse until your brain shuts down.

Since you do not speak spanish, your best chances lie in a thorough research while abroad, avoid getting caught in your wishful fantasies.

People will expect/demand hard currency from you.

The economy here is circling the toilet, salaries are low by definition and summer is approaching so there will be less permanent job offers, probably until March/April.

So think hard what is it that makes you so special, will have people rejoice in your arrival and will make them want to keep you around.

Being a non spanish speaking visitor will also make you an easy mark for pickpockets and such.

Wecome to the board, now do your homework,

expatsyn said:
I'm planning to move to Argentina from the USA.

IT'S A PLAN. =_=
I'm twenty-three years old.
I want to know what are the exact steps to moving to another country, finding a house/apartment and finding a job there.
Is it possible to do this before arrival or would I have to go there stay somewhere and look for a job?
I do not speak Spanish in the slightest. I wish to learn, though.
Do they speak much English there?
Is it possible for me to get a job there and learn Spanish while I work?
What are the steps of moving and so on?
Besides a passport and a visa~ I know that much. How do you get this visa?
I want to learn from someone who has experience and not from websites that I can't have a general discussion with because a lot of the websites don't give me correct input on the EXACT steps and where to start and such..

el queso´s post was good.

mine:

1) learn Castellano. NOT Mexican, Columbian, Spanish Spanish, Argentine CASTELLANO.
2) Get your birth certificate and your past criminal records, and put it through the Argentine Embassy in the USA and then get it translated officially.
3) Make a contact in Argentine online, that you can kind of trust, before you get there. Make sure that person is not Argentine, and speaks English. Try this site, although www.couchsurfing.com is much better, as the majority of the people on that website are cool and nice, and the ones here aren´t. If you want to research a place to stay: http://www.compartodepto.com. Make an account, and look for a place. I recommend a residencia for students, where you can pay month to month, and can possibly reserve online. Use google translate to navigate the site, some of it is in English though. Once you get here, you can do another search, in person, more thoroughly.
4) The job part is the hardest. Unless you get SUPER lucky, and known someone who can give you a job, or find something on craigslist or on this site, you will have to settle for jumping around looking for something once you get here. And since you speak no Spanish, you will probably have to teach English. And that job sucks, unless you are smart and efficient with handling your students and job offers. And then it still sucks.
5) If you want to be legal here, you have to get a legal job through sponsoring (not likely) or ¨go to school.¨ Since you are 23, that won´t hurt you much. If you don´t want to go, just sign up at UBA or UTN (this will be difficult without Spanish), get the inscription, and along with the other documents I told you, you can get a student visa. You can get a degree in ¨Spanish¨at some places I think, you might have to pay, but you at least will learn Spanish. Don´t expect to make too many Argentine friends who will be patient enough to teach you how to speak.

If you have more questions, or would just like to talk, send me a private message. I am willing to help you with anything you need, as long as you are not a d!ck and I have time.

braytrain said:
Get your birth certificate and your past criminal records, and put it through the Argentine Embassy in the USA and then get it translated officially.

The birth certificate is no longer required. If you order an FBI report prior to your departure from the USA you only have a limited time to arrive in Argentina from the date it is issued. Once you are here it will not expire unless you return to the US prior to receiving a temporary resident visa. You must ask that the report be certified or receive the apostille when you apply for the report. There is no reason to go to the Argentine Embassy in the US. You will have to apply for temporary residence in Argentina and you will need to have the translation(s) made in Argentina.

If you enterr the words "work visa" in the advanced search and search titles only you would find many threads on the subject, including the following information:

MIGRANT WORKER REQUIREMENTS

DOCUMENTS TO SUBMIT:

a) IDENTITY: Identity Card, Passport or Certificate of Citizenship with photo, originals. These documents must be in force and in good condition and submitted with a full set of copies including blank pages.
b) CERTIFICATE OF ARGENTINE CRIMINAL RECORDS Issued by the National Registry of Reoffend, or Federal Police. Only requires to those over 16 years.
c) CERTIFICATE OF LACK OF CRIMINAL RECORD issued by the competent authorities of the countries where they have resided for a period exceeding ONE (1) year, during the course of the last THREE (3) years. Only requires to those over 16 (sixteen) years.
d) AFFIDAVIT of lack of criminal record in other countries (it will be produce in migration at the time of application for residence). e) ENTRY. Country entry seal stamped to a travel document or migration card.

CERTIFICATE OF DOMICILE OR AN INVOICE OF ANY PUBLIC SERVICE WITHYOUR NAME (ABL, electricity, water or gas)
Settling tax: NON MERCOSUR $ 600
TWO 4X4 COLOR PHOTOS (It must be current, taken from the front, half bust, with the head completely uncovered, color, white even background, allowing appreciate faithfully and in all its fullness the holder's facial features when manage the procedure).

A) Labor pre-contract signed by the parties.
The pre-contract must specify:
Parties’ personal data, tasks to be performed by the foreigner, working hours, length of the labor relationship, address where the foreigner will work, remuneration to receive (it must comply with the collective bargaining agreement of the activity to be developed) and tax identification number (CUIT) of the employer.
If the employer was represented by a third party, must accompany the Power naming him.
The signatures must be certified by a notary public or before an agent of this National Direction when starting the application for residence. (In the sector report there is a model of a labor pre-contract)

B) Proof of employer's registration with the federal administration of public revenue (AFIP)
C) Proof of employer’s registration in the Single National Registry of Foreigner Applicant of the National Direction of Migration (NDM Regulation No.: 54618/08)

Note: within thirty (30) continuous days from the start of the residence application shall submit to the sector of receiving documentation, evidence of early register, issued by the federal administration of Public Revenue (AFIP) and signed by the employer.

THE RESIDENCE TO GIVE WILL BE TEMPORARY

IMPORTANT:
•All documents issued abroad must have the legalization of the Argentine Consulate, located in the country issuing the document Ministry of Foreign Affairs, International Trade and Worship, or Apostille, if the country has ratified the Hague Convention .
• Without detriment of that established on international agreements or conventions in force, any documents issued by consular representatives in the national territory must have the legalization of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, International Trade and Worship, except MERCOSUR.
• All documents issued in a foreign language must have the Spanish translation made by National Public Translator (Section 6 Law No. 20.305) and legalized by the Translators' Association.
• The documents submitted should be original and be accompanied by their respective copy, in order to proceed to their certification. The National Direction of Migration may require, if deemed necessary, additional documentation to those detailed before.

Source: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesi...sur_temporaria

Here are the results of the search:

http://baexpats.org/search.php?searchid=636647

I'm about your age, OP, but given your post I've gotta ask...why Argentina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back