Usd Cash Exchange Q

senielsen

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I just moved down to BsAs for the next three months for work- I lived in the city during my exchange year abroad a couple years back, and excited to return.

My only question is about exchanging dollars- I've seen posts saying that ATMs are fine to use, as well as xoom but where would be the best way to exchange USD cash for pesos ? I know the dollar blue is still around but wasn't sure if cuevas were still the way to go-- or if you know of a legitimate one. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sarah

On your own bank, if you have one.
Otherwise, go to any CAMBIO business in San Martin St in downtown.

The blue rate is still a little higher than the official rate. If you have dollars and can find an easy place to change money on the blue market - that gives you a good rate, some I've found only seem to give the official rate or a few cents over - it's still worth it.

I'd say an official cambio is usually better than using an ATM because you will get whatever official rate your bank gives you (maybe a bit lower than a cambio) plus any ATM fees (though if you have a Schwab account or any other banks that pays all or doesn't charge the fees, different story) to count against your actual conversion rate. Not a bad choice for the short term if you need money from the States instead of having dollars with you.

I've used the ATM a couple times in the last couple of weeks when I ran low on dollars. It's not bad for a few bucks here and there but for people who live here and can get dollars fairly painlessly or visitors who bring them down, it still makes sense to do the blue market conversion.

My wife changed money at our favorite blue place on Friday and she got about .40 centavos over the official rate. That's only 400 pesos per every thousand dollars, but when you have expenses and inflation to fight, that can make a difference. More expenses, the bigger the scale.

I haven't kept up with what Xoom or the other transfer places are doing.

The cueva is the way to go I get almost 1 peso per dollar on each one I change plus you go in, hand over the "verdes" get the pesos and leave! No forms, no questions, no limtis, easy as 1,2,3!

The cueva is the way to go I get almost 1 peso per dollar on each oneI change plus you go in, hand over the "verdes" get the pesos and leave! No forms, no questions, no limtis, easy as 1,2,3!

Esteban What do you mean "one peso" means more than official rate ?? the official rate is $13,64 :confused:
thanks

http://www.ambito.com/

Back