Using an iPhone from the States?

levity03

Registered
Hi,

I have an iPhone 3GS (AT&T) from the States. Is it possible to use this as my phone down here? I'm not too savvy with iPhone jailbreaking stuff so any help would be great.

Thanks

Unlock it in the states. I had my 3GS unlocked/jail broken for 30 dollars. When you gt here buy a tarjeta prepago (SIM card). They sell them everywhere

If you've had your AT&T contract for 2 years or more, I've heard that they will unlock it for you, which is ideal as you won't have to worry about jail-breaking or unlocking it, nor about which version of iOS you have.

In fact, if they won't unlock it for you, it's possible that you may not be able to unlock it at all, as that depends on what modem baseband the phone has.

Here is a brief tutorial on how to check your baseband, as well as which ones can be unlocked:

http://jaxov.com/2012/03/iphone-basebands-unlock-tutorial/

Assuming you can unlock it and that you don't want to do it yourself (not that hard if you follow directions closely, they can be found by searching Google) I recommend that you get it done in the States. You can check your local CraigsList, as there are usually several people offering the service.

Good luck!

p.s., when you get here, careful about protecting your iPhone--they are very popular with thieves in ARG...

More of the situation to better help myself :)

I am in Buenos Aires at the moment. I left the country in November and suspended my contract with AT&T (paying $10/month) While I have been gone, I've been given a hand-me-down iPhone for when I get back however, I'd like to have it down here, if not for phone usage, for handheld internet instead of bringing a computer.
So, the phone is not activated with AT&T - does that matter?

Lclc23 - how much are you paying for service down here with your iPhone?

Levity03, i was brought an iphone 3G and my dad was able to unlock it by just watching youtube videos. He has never jailbroken anything before and the instructions are very clear all you need is patience. I then added the 89 pesos monthly plan from Movistar which allows me unlimited use of Social networks and Chat (Whatsapp, Facebook, Instantgram) 130 pesos credit and 8 free numbers. My Iphone 3g works great!

If the phone was not associated with an AT&T account for at least 2 years, I don't think that it can be unlocked as no other carrier currently offers to do that...and if it was part of an AT&T contract, I think the original owner will need to contact them to get it unlocked.

That means you would need to go to plan B--jailbreak and unlock it, assuming that you can, given the phone's baseband...

I forgot to add that you can still use the phone's wifi, even if you can't unlock it to use as a cell phone. And with so many bars, restaurants, etc. having free wifi in BsAs now, it will be nice to have in any event...

Back