Using Hsbc Debit Card In The Usa?

Has anyone used an Argentine debit card (within the last year) to withdraw cash in another country? If so, did you have a dollar account or was it withdrawn from an account in pesos?

There seems to be a lot of confusion around this. My understanding was that, as Citygirl said, it is only possible with a dollar account. I would like to know what everyone's experience is.

My ATM card (Standard Bank) always worked reliably in ATMs, but almost never worked at POS (point of sale, not piece of shit) locations. I haven't tried it since Feb of last year.

I also have a Standard Bank account. You can use your debit card to purchase stuffs only if you swipe it (no online or phone transactions. If you go into a store, always select the credit card option, for some reason the US systems detect debit cards from argentina as credit card and wont work if you dont use this). You can use an ATM to withdrawn money if you have a USD account with the bank, but that means you have to have dollars deposited there, which doesn't make much sense for anyone to trust a bank in argentina. You can only withdrawn currency in a foreign country if you went to the arg bank, gave them your dollars to put them in your usd savings/checking account.

If you have ARS in your bank account.. but an empty USD/EUR account, you are not going to be able to withdrawn anything. You are only going to be able to use it at stores.

There is a difference between Visa debit and Visa credit. If you have a visa debit card, in pesos, you will NOT be able to use it abroad. Debit cards (most of which are visa debit now) cannot be used to withdraw money from a peso account when abroad. If you use it to make purchases at a store, some people can use them, some can't...maybe check with your bank. I've never been able to use my visa debit card (peso account) when abroad...not to withdraw cash and not to purchase stuff in stores.

If you have a Visa credit card (which from the OP is not what you have) you can use it abroad no problem. You will be charged in dollars with a 15% fee (50% if you make purchases over a certain amount...I think its 200-odd dollars) and this will be converted into the official peso rate at card closing.

There is a difference between Visa debit and Visa credit. If you have a visa debit card, in pesos, you will NOT be able to use it abroad. Debit cards (most of which are visa debit now) cannot be used to withdraw money from a peso account when abroad. If you use it to make purchases at a store, some people can use them, some can't...maybe check with your bank. I've never been able to use my visa debit card (peso account) when abroad...not to withdraw cash and not to purchase stuff in stores.

If you have a Visa credit card (which from the OP is not what you have) you can use it abroad no problem. You will be charged in dollars with a 15% fee (50% if you make purchases over a certain amount...I think its 200-odd dollars) and this will be converted into the official peso rate at card closing.

This is wrong, you can use both credit and debit card no problem i just did it 2 weeks ago and i know how this work, the debit card was blocked not long ago for operations abroad is not blocked anymore, you can use them where ever you want to pay as long as they are international and almost all the debit cards are internationals now a day, there is not such charge as 50% for purchases over 300 usd, that was only going to aply for purchases of electronic that were brought to the country but as it was to dificult to implement and diferenciate between electronic and not electronics they never put it on work. It was more a mean to scare people to not use the CC so much outside than a real attemp to do it.

To extract money out of the country you can use your debit card only if you have a usd account with usd, or you can use your credit card to take usd outside in a ATM paying in pesos here but it have a limit and you have to call them for a special password when you are outside, they charge you with the 15% of the ammount of money you extract. I have try this option and i know it work but the limit unless you have a huge limit in the credit card is not that good.

Back