Using Hsbc Debit Card In The Usa?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
I have a Peso account with HSBC here in Buenos Aires. I have a debit card / Visa. Does anyone know if I can use this (as a credit card) when I travel to the US?

Many thanks

GS

If it has a Visa logo you should have no issues, but will "they" charge you a 15% surcharge when you charge stuff in dollars? Not sure how that works.

Thanks. I'll take the 15% surcharge over the Dólar Blue surcharge any day!

:)

Thanks. I'll take the 15% surcharge over the Dólar Blue surcharge any day!

:)
My understanding is that Argentine banks issue 2 types of debit cards, one that can only be used inside the country, and another that is able to be used worldwide, they both have visa logos, the internal one doesn't have raised numbers were as the external one does,. I think El Queso wrote a more in depth post about it if you want to search the forum.

My understanding is that Argentine banks issue 2 types of debit cards, one that can only be used inside the country, and another that is able to be used worldwide, they both have visa logos, the internal one doesn't have raised numbers were as the external one does,. I think El Queso wrote a more in depth post about it if you want to search the forum.

Very true ... just check with HSBC if you have an international card...!!

Yes they do have the posibility to issue the 2 types of cards but the true is that now a day 99% of the cards are internationals, you can use them worldwide you just need to pay 15% extra, in your resume will look like this:

Restorant diner 100
15% restorant diner 15

You can take that 15% back as a refound by entering in the sicred web page if you are employ or you are owner of a company paying profit tax.

Hey, I have a similar question. I have the basic debit card of Banco de Galicia; will I be able to take money out of an ATM in Uruguay with it? I'll go to ask the bank tomorrow, but given their general ineptitude up until now, I don't trust them to tell me correctly. Otherwise what are you supposed to do? Take all the cash you will need on your person? I heard you can't get a credit card until you've been living here for 4 years, is that right?

Hey, I have a similar question. I have the basic debit card of Banco de Galicia; will I be able to take money out of an ATM in Uruguay with it? I'll go to ask the bank tomorrow, but given their general ineptitude up until now, I don't trust them to tell me correctly. Otherwise what are you supposed to do? Take all the cash you will need on your person? I heard you can't get a credit card until you've been living here for 4 years, is that right?

Do you have a dollar account? If not, then no, you can't withdraw money from any ATM in a currency other than ARS pesos.

If you have residency, you can certainly try to get a credit card. Lots of people have done it and I've never heard the 4 year rule.

HSBC confirmed that indeed my card is international. I'll know for sure on Wednesday morning when I go to pay my taxi fare from the airport.

Back