Using UBER in BA with a US cell phone

chris

Registered
I have a US cell phone and a UBER account based in the US. Whenever I travel on UBER in the US (I've also done so in the UK) my ride is automatically charged to my US credit card. Someone told me that in BA drivers want cash. If I pay cash, my credit card will also be charged. Could someone clarify this. Also, do people in BA ever call their drivers from their cell phones (in case of problems)? If so, I guess I couldn't do this since the phone has a US number.

It will charge your credit card and no need to pay cash. The uber drivers understand this. Argentines have to pay in cash because Argentine credit cards are blocked by the government for Uber. But the drivers do plenty of business with foreigners and are accustomed to foreigners paying with a card. I use Uber 2-3 times a week with my is credit card and have 0 problem. One time I had an Uber driver ask me if I was going to pay as I exited the car, but I told him it's with a card an he said (in spanish) ah ok sorry about that, didn't realize. Long story short, you're good to go.

I have a US cell phone and a UBER account based in the US. Whenever I travel on UBER in the US (I've also done so in the UK) my ride is automatically charged to my US credit card. Someone told me that in BA drivers want cash. If I pay cash, my credit card will also be charged. Could someone clarify this. Also, do people in BA ever call their drivers from their cell phones (in case of problems)? If so, I guess I couldn't do this since the phone has a US number.
Also I don't think you could call the driver. But the app has built in messaging you can use if you have Wi-Fi or roaming data.

Last thing: Sit in the passenger seat of the Uber. Apparently it makes cab drivers less likely to realize it's an Uber. Some cab drivers are know for harassing and even attacking Uber drivers and passengers. It's never happened to me, but it's in the news. If something does happen, just play dumb innocent foreigner and walk away from the situation. Not worth arguing.

Sit in the passenger seat? You mean front seat?
So drivers DEFINITELY know when payment is by credit card....Are they as well informed in the Provincia de Buenos Aires?
How safe is UBER here? I had to use a remise today in the provincia and I did not feel at all safe.

It will charge your credit card and no need to pay cash. The uber drivers understand this. Argentines have to pay in cash because Argentine credit cards are blocked by the government for Uber. But the drivers do plenty of business with foreigners and are accustomed to foreigners paying with a card. I use Uber 2-3 times a week with my is credit card and have 0 problem. One time I had an Uber driver ask me if I was going to pay as I exited the car, but I told him it's with a card an he said (in spanish) ah ok sorry about that, didn't realize. Long story short, you're good to go.

Very useful, thank you for this. BY any chance, have you you used UBER to/from EZE, and if so, would you recommend it? Thank you.

Sit in the passenger seat? You mean front seat?
So drivers DEFINITELY know when payment is by credit card....Are they as well informed in the Provincia de Buenos Aires?
How safe is UBER here? I had to use a remise today in the provincia and I did not feel at all safe.
yea for sure they know. They can tell by looking at the app. The one time the guy asked he just didn't look at the app. I've used it 2-3 times a week for 6 months now. No issue whatsoever. Farthest I've gone in provincial is Vicente Lopez but no issue. I always feel safe.

Uber is great when its not blocked - used it multiple times without any issues. Charges my foreign CC in US dollars. Only problem is getting picked up from Aeroparque - which I have never tried but doubt would work well. Taxis abuse and assualt Uber drivers. As previously said - sit in the front seat. When I went to Aeroparque the Uber driver dropped me off in the car park because he was worried about issues from taxis. Support Uber because at the moment it is 100X better than the absolute shit service/rip off taxi drivers you USUALLY get.

Back