Usted o vos?

chris said:
Another informality that has spread widely in Argentina is the use of first names for everyone, something very common in the US and UK -- it's almost as though no one has a surname. Even in the best schools students are encouraged to address students by their first names.
How I recognize that - I am señor Jhon (argentinos always confuse John with Jhon) and caballero.

The whole debate reminds me of the good (not so) old days in Austria, where every man in clean and whole clothes was address as Hr. Doktor - except if they actually were doctors, then it was Hr. Graf - except if they actually were counts, in whichs case it was Herzog or Hochheit - except if they actually were dukes or highnesses, in which case ... :D:D

Hache said:
Am I the only one not liking to be addressed as usted because it exposes my inevitable aging?

lol -- not at all, it bothers me as well, ESPECIALLY when it comes out of the mouths of people in their late teens / early 20s (I'm 35) -- although I think what was worse for me was when I realised that I was no longer being addressed as a Senorita to a Senora :( (I am married, but I always think of a Senora as someone quite a bit older than me!)

As a language tutor I can tell you, it depends on what the other person expects you to say. As a rule, I say "usted" to old people, directors, people with some authority, and in formal situations. But with young people (35 or below) I always use "vos". I also use "usted" with employees when I want to keep my distance. When in doubt, I wait to see how the other persons addresses to me. Some people who have a gigantic sense of self-importance may resent your calling them "vos". I will never understand it, but it is what it is...

Back