Looking For Trusted Contractor For Interior Wall Work

AmigoArtistico

Registered
I have a problem.

My neighbor, illegally, without notice or permission, during 5 weeks and despite my continued protests, "reconstructed" the common wall between her apartment and mine, replacing the hollow bricks with cement, and then installing all new kitchen appliances. It's a long, terrible story (I even have video of when the worker smashed his way all the way through the wall, and was looking at me through the hole. Her worker caused lots of damage to my side of the wall and never fixed it, but that's not even my main problem.)

During the 8 years before she did this (about 2 years ago), I never heard a sound from her apartment. Now, all day long, I hear every sound from her kitchen as if it were in my living room. It has been slowly and steadily driving me mad. The sounds are loud enough to wake me up and to interfere with television and music. I've begun slamming the wall with a stick and screaming through the wall, but this is really just venting, since there is no practical way for her to fix the problem she's created, even if she were willing to do so (which she never would be).

A lawyer has advised me that even though it was illegal, there's probably nothing I can do now to get her to undo what she's done.

So I've been investigating noise reducing wall construction from my side, and I've discovered that there are a number of options (the best of which, of course, requires a product unavailable in Argentina, and too costly to import under the current rules, i.e. more than US$25).

I've had seven contractors work in my apartment since I've lived here, most of them many years ago now, because all but one of them left a new problem at least equal to the one that they were there to solve.

So I'm looking for some recommendations for trustworthy contractors to reconstruct my side of the wall with noise reducing materials. They'll probably have to use drywall instead of the existing plaster, so they'll need experience with that, also.

If someone can recommend someone trustworthy within my budget, I may take a chance and go forward with this now. Otherwise, I may wait to see what happens with the new government, and to see if we can actually begin to receive products from outside Argentina again, and in that case I'll repost this at that time.

But I'm getting really tired of getting to sleep at night by contemplating ways to get revenge on this woman.

Please, any and all productive suggestions and trustworthy recommendations are welcomed and encouraged.

Thanks.

Why not just bust down the wall from your side and put the huecos back in. Tit for tat.

You don't know how many times I've thought of that. In my younger days I might have, but I'm doing my best to show some restraint.

Of course, if the workers I hire cause any problems on her side while fixing my side, I'll certainly show no sympathy.

I can't help with finding qualified workers, but can offer some suggestions on how to go about sound proofing your common wall. the sound soak panels you are referring to are a fiberous material and available in 4 x 8 panels. I am not convinced you need them. you could simply glue sheetrock to the common wall and have the joints taped and textured with what ever texture you desire. I would use 5/8 inch sheetrock. if 5/8 inch is not available, start with a layer of 1/2 inch, don't finish it and live with it for a few days to see if its sufficient. if not add another layer. the most effective and expensive way is to build a new stud wall, metal or wood, 1 inch away from the existing wall, insulate, and sheetrock with a minimum of 5/8 sheetrock. the separation will help the vibration of sound. the problem is, what once was a static wall with no activity, now has holes in it and has become a working wall. not only does the wall have penetrations but also the sound of kitchen equipment and someone working. I am a general contractor in the US and have built everything from houses, apartments complexes, to commercial buildings. sound transference was always a major concern and we dealt with it in different ways. hope this helps.

Why did you let her do this in the first place. You gave consent by not protesting.

I had some experience with this. I live in a very old building with thick walls. However, the sound travels well in the thick bricks/cement. The key is to create buffer zone.
There is a baby on the other side of my apartment, I can hear her cry all the time.

My contractor first built a 2 inch thick metal frame on my side (the metal frame is common in BsAs, and in US it's used on office building), then put fire resistance material as sound insulator, the yellow fiber stuff, then install the drywalls on top of the metal frame, then sand and paint. The result : fantastic !!! I could not hear anything from the other side. My manager is local, and he was surprised to see the results. He said people in Argentina live with sh**t like that, never thought about doing something.
PM me if you are interested.

The drawback : you lose 2.5 inch of you space. and some $$ from your packet, 200-300us for the material, maybe same for the labor. My apt is high ceiling.

It's very hard for them to transport material with their small cars, I buy them lunch and give them bonus all the time. Tough to get things like that done in BsAs.

Not sure how I can post that photo. if someone can tell me.
I open the photo by internet explorer, the try to do copy and paste, doesn't work.

Useful post Garryl!

When I have my own apartment, will definitely consider it.

Back