Vacation Time in Argentina

What do you think of Argentina Vacation Time?

• It's more than I expected/got back home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's less than I expected/got back home

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • It's perfect - just the right work/vacation balance

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I don't think it's a fair amount/the rules about when you can take it aren't fair

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I don't care, I just want more vacation no matter where I am

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other- explain in the comments

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Dublin2BuenosAires said:
In a european context, where we also have bank holidays and religious festivals it is still not excessive. The north american allowance is quite limited and not the norm.

In Northern Europe it's easy to take 2 weeks in august, 1 week to go sking in february, 1 week in May/june, have the days of between Christmas and NY and still having like 3 to 5 available to freely decide when you take them.

That's definitly quite a bit, it roughly translate to about 6 weeks of holiday and 46 weeks of work.

I am lucky that my gf is allowed to leave roughly one month to accompany me to Europe but that's not the norm in Argentina and it's basically because she is working for a small company and is flexible

Dublin2BuenosAires said:
In a european context, where we also have bank holidays and religious festivals it is still not excessive. The north american allowance is quite limited and not the norm.

Name me a country in Europe that throws in 2 weeks holiday for getting married on top of the annual vacation period, and 2 days for moving house, that is not limited to X house moves per year and yes we have had employes move house multiple times in 1 year. The study days seem so OTT as employees frequently ask for more time and you feel of course the need to say yes. Of course when the subtes etc are on strike employees cannot come to work or work from home if they can...there's so many variables that mean the standard working day is not gteed...hence we chose to be downtown so we have a chance in hell of having electricity!
After running a PYME here you will see reality somewhat differently especially with US, Chinese and now even European based clients who quite frankly consider the Bsas system as so "lax" that we are running parallel teams to serve them or risk losing the business..this is the way of the world with tighter deadlines and zero tolerance for "cultural standards like Christmas or carnival" and as usual Argentina is running the opposite direction to give more days ooo. FYI I LOVE holidays myself..but I also value a successful business so I see both sides...wish I ran a business in Germany personally...Noone to blame in this equation, just a modern world!

Read el chabon's reply. I'm discounting the whole honeymoon part of the conversation as that is infrequent and would be completely negated by some european maternity and paternity allowances. On balance, european countries grt more vacation time. Clearly your perception is different, but I assure you from discussing with many of the professional argentines i know in europe, there are more vacation days available here. Again, the US model is restricitive and viewed as a sacrifice those moving to the us have to make. Moving internally with my own company (multinational financial services) part of deal is dropping around 8 vacation days annually. Across 5 years that completely negates any honeymoon and moving allocations.

Ps. I can also take study days (2 per professional exam) here in Ireland, typical across our large multi national in europe.

Having been here in business for 9yrs+ the challenge is the changing face of Bsas holidays due to their floating nature ie they move acc. to if they fall on a working day or not and they add days acc. to queen CFK's discretion which most countries don't understand any more than they understand why some years we have a 3 hour time difference and others a 5 hour one acc. to govt decree. The rest of the world tends to stick to a fairly standard agenda. My perception is of course driven by my reality for example Google who advised 1 month ago that vacations would be considered normal working time for deliveries with no OT payment....try telling that to a porteno, Brazilian, Frenchman, German, Swede etc etc...It feels like Bsas has lots of holidays because ours run against and appear additional to those standard to Europe even if we're all working over Christmas in Latam. We all talk about being more globally conscious..what that really means is conforming to a client's agenda and forgetting the local circumstances. As I say I love holidays...having some in Bsas reallll sooon!

How can American companies like for example Microsoft skip the Argentine holidays and stick to the American?

In Ireland most people would get a week leave after a marriage also. In most countries in the world women get about 6 months paid maternity leave or more....in the USA it's 3 month paid if you work for a large company.

And the average starting holidays in USA is 10 days which is disgraceful.

It's actually more like 15-16 days off in the US for a typical office job. At least that's been my experience over the last 8 years. 10 vacation and 5 or 6 personal days. And those days count as working days, not weekend days, which are included in the 14 days given here. So it's the same quantity of vacation days plus some personal days and your are free to take your days however and whenever you want which is not the case here. I've turned 10 vacation days off in the US into 3 weeks off using long weekends/holidays. I've also tried doing that here and the response was a somewhat bewildered look that said "Is that even possible?". I thought I'd be taking 3 days off... it was counted as 5 due to those pesky weekend days.

Back