Vegans Anyone?

it's not too bad.... i'm getting used to it. I found a few vegan spots already in BA. I'm adapting....

i know there are some vegan friendly places but i really wish I could find the variety u have in the us...here there is no trace of hemp, oat, rice milk, no soy yogurth or ice cream ...no vegan alternatives...and the few vegetarian or raw food places ive tried were quiet disappointing

You can look online or youtube for instructions to make your own nutmilk, oatmilk etc... even stuff like soy yogurt...

vo said:
i know there are some vegan friendly places but i really wish I could find the variety u have in the us...here there is no trace of hemp, oat, rice milk, no soy yogurth or ice cream ...no vegan alternatives...and the few vegetarian or raw food places ive tried were quiet disappointing
Welcome to the United States of twenty years ago!

Demand will create the supply.

HI - I could recommend you two places to buy your food. First one is an organic food fair on Saturday mornings (recommended to get there before 1pm) and second one to get all kinds of soy and tofu products for cheap is the barrio chino - there's one small store where they sell tofu in all its variations only (on Arribeños between Mendoza and Olazabal) - it`s like 3 Pesos for a kilo of tofu.

ive been there, its pretty good for tofu, i only buy soyana as it s organic and there its way cheaper... is the market u r talking about the Galpon??

El Galpon is the only certified organic food market around but most vegetable stores are completely organic (they just don't pay the extra money for the certification).

From talking to a few Argentine locals, it seems it is more expensive for farmers to buy fertilizers/pesticides than to simply grow more of a particular veggie. Also El Galpon has to pay a premium for their building so their prices are quite expensive compared to corner vegetable shops.

Kara at Cocina Verde does some fantastic raw foods for people who do not want to, or don't have time to, prepare their own meals. She is a vegan/raw food dietician from Seattle who can help point you in the right direction.
http://www.cocinaverde.com/

Vegans looking for rice milk--that same soy/ tofu store mentioned two or three posts back on Arribenos sells rice milk. They don't have it every day but it's always there when I go on Saturday. They make it with peanut (mani) which I've never heard of, but at least there's a soy alternative. They also sell unsweetened soy milk if you dig that. Just ask which is which if you can't tell.

Napoleon said:
I ate a vegan once. Not very tasty. Probably won't have one again.

Celia said:
I'm a part-time raw vegan. Hygiene in my barrio is a major problem when it comes to fruit and veg. Have got sick too many times...

I didn't want to say it on my first post, but I agree with Celia. The personal Hygiene of vegans is a problem. Both the fruits and the vag. I've gotten sick a couple of times and Listerine didn't help one bit.

:D

Back