Venezuela As A Comparison Of What Could Be Argentina's Futur

I travel to Caracas almost every month. Its a different world out there.

Ok, we take all the countries of the continent, and everyone says the truth!!! Only Cuba lies.
I wonder why if they lie they didnt put themselves in the first place. Or Argentina. Or Venezuela. Or Ecuador.

Well, if the Brazilian or Argentina government tried to lie on the data, anyone (a university, a worker's union, an independent think thank, a newspaper) can run their own survey and publish their data to challenge/contest the government stats. Hell, they do that all the time. What happened when the government in Argentina tried to falsify the inflation numbers?

But try doing that in Cuba. Try running your own survey without the government approval to see what happens. How long do you think you'd last before being labeled a counter revolutionary and being shot?

Theres no independent think tank. And if it were, they just cant compare in resources to measure these things with a government organisation, logistics, etc.

I dont know how official statistics are challenged in every country, I dont think everywhere is like Argentina, so the majority of people still believe their numbers. I dont see why there must be a difference between these countries where numbers are still reliable and Cuba.

Theres no independent think tank. And if it were, they just cant compare in resources to measure these things with a government organisation, logistics, etc.

I dont know how official statistics are challenged in every country, I dont think everywhere is like Argentina, so the majority of people still believe their numbers. I dont see why there must be a difference between these countries where numbers are still reliable and Cuba.

Really? So you think that if the government in Colombia or Peru published that average life expectancy was 90 years and that 99% of the population had sanitation, and literacy rate was 99%, no one would challenge it?

Official US data is challenged all the time. It's part of trying to keep the politicos (of the opposite party) honest.

Official US data is challenged all the time. It's part of trying to keep the politicos (of the opposite party) honest.

Exactly. Official data is challenged all the time, in any free country. Now try doing that in Cuba.

Ok, we take all the countries of the continent, and everyone says the truth!!! Only Cuba lies.
I wonder why if they lie they didnt put themselves in the first place. Or Argentina. Or Venezuela. Or Ecuador.

As a matter of fact Argentina gives to Cepal the official INDEC figures so it ranks great.... hhahha, BTW you just sling these figures about Cuba which no one has ever SEEN...??? B)

Exactly. Official data is challenged all the time, in any free country. Now try doing that in Cuba.

you just can not compare any "independent" consulting, or institution, or whatever because:

1) they are never independent, you cant picture a bunch of people isolated from a society and worst, if they are involved in politics by publishing numbers. They occupy a position of power, of political power, always.
2) they never ever will have the resources (money, people, methods, logistic, etc, etc, etc) the official data has.

So I would say that official data is -por default and beyond ideologies- the most reliable information.

you just can not compare any "independent" consulting, or institution, or whatever because:

1) they are never independent, you cant picture a bunch of people isolated from a society and worst, if they are involved in politics by publishing numbers. They occupy a position of power, of political power, always.
2) they never ever will have the resources (money, people, methods, logistic, etc, etc, etc) the official data has.

So I would say that official data is -por default- the most reliable information.

Matias, I am not wasting my time with you on this topic anymore. When are you leaving poor miserable Mexico and moving to the 4th best HDI in the continent? They will take you in with open arms.

That argument makes totally sense given we have an 'independent' organization called INDEC which has a lot of resources to produce 'meaningful' statistics :D

Back