Vent/Rant

nyer4ever said:
The envelope was sent from NY on the 29th and should (have) arrive(d) here 6-10 business days later. But I'm doing something I never do, which is freak out and think that the post office is just flinging mail that they don't feel like delivering into a massive pile along the border of Bolivia which at some point they will set ablaze to keep the Bolivians out ... because that is where all the mystery mail MUST be disappearing too. Oh and the mail is being tossed over mates shared harmoniously with the coworkers.

Ok ok hold your horses. Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out, but if you are referring to March 29th TODAY would be the 6th business day. ANd they said 6 to 10. So nothing to fret about yet. Really.

LostinBA said:
You're actually quite lucky. The card will probably arrive probably soon and hopefully straight to your door.

I say lucky because if your mother had sent it via Fedex or UPS it would be held up at EZE customs whereby AFIP would actually levy 50% duties on declared value+shipping costs and FedEx and UPS would also put additional processing costs on top. Sooo...even if the declared value is zilch but it cost 100 USD to send, AFIP will want 50 USD and UPS will want another 50 or so USD. My credit card cost me well over 100 USD to get UPS to release it to me.

One caveat...you're not going to be so lucky if it gets redirected to Retiro for pickup. If this happens, make sure you arrive there 30-60 minutes before they open so avoid hours waiting in lines.

Welcome to Argentina.

Since when? I just got documents delivered to the office via Fedex with no issues as all and no extra charges. If it contains anything of value, yes, you have to go to EZE but documents will come right to your door.

allcraz said:
Ok ok hold your horses. Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out, but if you are referring to March 29th TODAY would be the 6th business day. ANd they said 6 to 10. So nothing to fret about yet. Really.

I KNOW I'm totally jumping the gun, it's just that it's not trackable here with the customs #. Hate comparing countries, but in Brazil I was able to track packages online with the same number. After reading all the horror stories with mail here it's just made me extra paranoid, plus moving this weekend into a new place and don't have the $ in my hand.

Going to try to send myself money with Xoom, someone else wrote about it in another thread. Western Union charges $75 to send money through your bank account and it arrives 3 days later ... looks like Xoom is only charging $25 and it arrives same day, PLUS a really nice exchange rate. Will hold out for another 14days to wait for the envelope and then see if I need to have another one sent down.

Thanks everyone for the advice and warnings ... never want to lose/damage anything important here again.

nyer4ever, the Correo used to track incoming registered mail from the US. But the US wouldn't track incoming registered mail from Argentina. I complained about this up to the Postmaster General and got the reply that entering the tracking data for incoming international mail other than the expensive Express services is optional, at the discretion of the postal employee.

So now, it looks like the Correo is retaliating.

Guess it's just about luck. I sent 2 boxes from Ireland ( 7kg and 20kg ) and both arrived to my door in BA Provincia within 8 days. Just registered posted it. No courier. Then my family sent me some documents again by registered post and it arrived to the door again in 9 days. This was within the last 2 months

Hope I haven't jinxed myself; )

1) you're expecting an important document by regular mail and not courier
2)it's not late (at least not yet)

i don't really get this thread. yes, mail sucks here. but really, it's not even late yet! why are you venting beforehand??

Just recieved my amazon books today, 10 days after ordering them and didn't pay registered post. So no problems with post after receiving 4 items now perfectly on time. Just give it a chance…

erian said:
Just recieved my amazon books today, 10 days after ordering them and didn't pay registered post. So no problems with post after receiving 4 items now perfectly on time. Just give it a chance…
Imported books? Haven't they been subject to ne wlaw making importation hard if not impossible?

And following up to say I received another FedEx envelop yesterday. It was sent Monday from the US and was delivered directly to the office yesterday. No issues with it being delivered directly to me and no duties to be paid. (It was documents so nothing of value).

Back