Verizon "global Phone" Not So Global.

Pedalpusher

Registered
I bought a Samsung S3 on the Verizon network in the U.S. because they claimed it to be a global phone that would work on any network in the world. While the phone works with local carriers, makes calls, receives text messages, and connects to most wifi networks here, I can't get 3g or HSPA in the streets. I'm stuck on the Edge/2g network. I got the phone so I could use Whatsapp, Line, GPS and recieve/make Skype calls in the street, but 2g doesn't cut it for those apps. Actually 2g doesn't cut it for any apps that require you to be online.

Does anybody have a similar experience with a Verizon smart phone and has gotten the phone to work on the 3g networks here? If not, I'm willing to sell it or trade it for a phone of similar caliber, in similar condition as mine. I also have an extra battery and charger-case for the phone.

Is it an I9300 (the intl. version of the S3)? If so it should work here as it was sold in Argentina as well. However, 3G support is kind of unstable in general here, even in BsAs.

Is it an I9300 (the intl. version of the S3)? If so it should work here as it was sold in Argentina as well. However, 3G support is kind of unstable in general here, even in BsAs.
No, it's a Verizon specific build numbered SCH-I535. Each large carrier in the U.S. has their own specific build for the S3. The I9300 was never sold on any carrier in the U.S.

Verizon does not work in Argentina. Surprised they didn't tell you that, did you tell them exactly where you were going?? -oops never mind didn't see that you were using a different phone company here.

Verizon does not work in Argentina. Surprised they didn't tell you that, did you tell them exactly where you were going?? -oops never mind didn't see that you were using a different phone company here.
The phone is sim unlocked, but Verizon has a block on the GSM antennas because their 3g network is CDMA, this also keeps people from using a Verizon phone on ATT for example, who uses the same 3g GSM frequency as all the carriers here. Anyway, I have learned way too much about cell phones, frequencies, and antennas in the last month. What I think it's all boiling down to is Verizon sucks. I wish I would of gone with ATT when I bought this phone because I could of unlocked it and had a fully functioning phone.

Have you called Verizon to see if they can give you any setup instructions, or an unlock code for the GSM feature? Sometimes these phones need to download carrier settings for data 3g and MMS to work. This is usually an automatic download when you pop in the chip, but you may need to manually enter the settings or force a network reset on the phone. If the GSM is indeed locked, perhaps they can give you an unlock code for it. Verizon support might should able to help.

Not that this helps you, but the Verizon iPhone 5 and 5s are both CDMA phones that also have a factory unlocked GSM chip. Both work well in Argentina (3G) by just popping in a nano SIM and without any special setup.

Not that this helps you, but the Verizon iPhone 5 and 5s are both CDMA phones that also have a factory unlocked GSM chip. Both work well in Argentina (3G) by just popping in a nano SIM and without any special setup.

Are you speaking from personal experience? Are you using the iPhone 5 or 5s? How do you like it? Still would need to purchase the unlocked version, right? So Personal could set me up with a new nano SIM for it as I already have a plan with them? Heading for the US tomorrow and maybe the apple store.....

Are you speaking from personal experience? Are you using the iPhone 5 or 5s? How do you like it? Still would need to purchase the unlocked version, right? So Personal could set me up with a new nano SIM for it as I already have a plan with them? Heading for the US tomorrow and maybe the apple store.....

Yes, we have used the Verizon iPhone 5 here in the past, upgraded, and we are now using the Verizon iPhone 5s in Argentina. Works well, and our local carrier is Claro (contract plan with data). We simply pop out the Verizon chips here and swap it for our local Claro chips (and reverse that when we go to the US).

It is my understanding that other carriers in the US, like T-Mobile, also have the GSM-unlocked iPhone 5's now as their standard offering. You can check there as well.

I have not death with Personal in years, but you should be able to get a nano SIM from them and and a data plan. I know Movistar and Claro offer this, so they should as well.

That's great! So the unlocked comes with a chip you can use in the US but is pay as you go, with no contractual obligations? Did you get it at Apple or Verizon? And you don't have a contract in the U s?(I'm hoping I'm hoping!) any thoughts on the less expensive vs more expensive model?thanks so much for the info!

It's like buying a diesel and wondering why regular gasoline (nafta/petrol) won't work in the car.

You bought something that works great in the US but won't work anywhere else in the world. Sorry you didn't look that up before you bought it. Perhaps you should buy a different phone online and have someone mule it down to you. Then you can send the Verizon back to the US where someone you know can sell it on eBay. Otherwise, you can use it like an iPod Touch. Constantly look for WiFi so that you can use Whatsapp.

Back