Verizon "global Phone" Not So Global.

That's great! So the unlocked comes with a chip you can use in the US but is pay as you go, with no contractual obligations? Did you get it at Apple or Verizon? And you don't have a contract in the U s?(I'm hoping I'm hoping!) any thoughts on the less expensive vs more expensive model?thanks so much for the info!

With Verizon we have a 2yr contract plan. It's a CDMA phone that has a GSM chip for LTE (4g) data connection. The phone's GSM chip is unlocked and can be used for voice/data with any other carrier. Verizon also has a month to month plan, but you end up paying as much as the regular unlocked version of the device. You can get it Apple or Verizon stores.

If you want a new, no-contract iPhone 5s or 5c, you'll have to buy an unlocked (SIM-free) one from Apple. I would recommend the 5c ($550+), as it's basically the same as the 5s without the faster chip and fingerprint security stuff, or a 4s ($450+)

If you get the T-Mobile iPhone 5 (no contract), from what I read online, you may need to wait 40 days and put in some charge before they'll agree to unlock it for you.

OR, you can grab a used or refurbished unlocked iPhone for less at eBay or Amazon.

Good luck :)

Lacoqueta if your phone is in fact cdma, it simply won't work here. It has to have gsm capabilities. But if it does have GSM capabilities, then there is likely a way around unlocking it. Do some heavy research online and there is surely a way to pay or have it unlocked.

If you are getting an iphone, just buy one unlocked directly either from Apple's site or and Apple Store. You have to pay the full price for it, but phone plans are so cheap here that over two years it costs far less than in the U.S. since the price of phones up front are subsidized into your date/phone plan.

That's great! So the unlocked comes with a chip you can use in the US but is pay as you go, with no contractual obligations? Did you get it at Apple or Verizon? And you don't have a contract in the U s?(I'm hoping I'm hoping!) any thoughts on the less expensive vs more expensive model?thanks so much for the info!
I bought a T-Mobile iPhone 5s from Apple before I came down. Apple now sells an unlocked iPhone 5s for the same price. I believe it is the same as the t-mob phone. If you know anyone in the US with a t-mob plan they can add you on for $10 a month. This includes free international texting and cell data. And phone calls (almost) anywhere on the planet for $.20 a minute. Otherwise t-mob sell monthly, no obligation plans for, I believe around $50 per month. You can put a AR chip in and use it as a local phone also when you get back.

Tom

If you want a new, no-contract iPhone 5s or 5c, you'll have to buy an unlocked (SIM-free) one from Apple. I would recommend the 5c ($550+), as it's basically the same as the 5s without the faster chip and fingerprint security stuff, or a 4s ($450+)

If you get the T-Mobile iPhone 5 (no contract), from what I read online, you may need to wait 40 days and put in some charge before they'll agree to unlock it for you.

OR, you can grab a used or refurbished unlocked iPhone for less at eBay or Amazon.

Good luck :)

I think the 5s is easily worth the extra money. The fingerprint recognition alone is worth it. My phone is always locked but instantly usable. The new chip is very fast and the second new chip gives a much better battery life.

If you are buying an unsubsidized phone you may as well buy the unlocked phone directly from apple.

Tom

Yes, we have used the Verizon iPhone 5 here in the past, upgraded, and we are now using the Verizon iPhone 5s in Argentina. Works well, and our local carrier is Claro (contract plan with data). We simply pop out the Verizon chips here and swap it for our local Claro chips (and reverse that when we go to the US).

It is my understanding that other carriers in the US, like T-Mobile, also have the GSM-unlocked iPhone 5's now as their standard offering. You can check there as well.

I have not death with Personal in years, but you should be able to get a nano SIM from them and and a data plan. I know Movistar and Claro offer this, so they should as well.
I'm on Claro too. Every carrier's chip will work on my phone I just don't get 3g/HSPA. I went with Claro because they're the only carrier I can get a month to month plan without a DNI. The other carriers would only let me do "tarjeta" or pay as you go and that is a rip off here. I've called Verizon 2 times, the first time I got a line of BS, and the second time I got some rude girl that kept interrupting me every time I was trying to explain to her the problem. Not too excited about trying a third time, but I'll give it a go.

All the carriers here have micro SIM, but Claro is the only one that will let you have a month to month contract with out a DNI. You have to pay a AR$100 deposit that you can apply to your bill after 7 months.

Lacoqueta if your phone is in fact cdma, it simply won't work here. It has to have gsm capabilities. But if it does have GSM capabilities, then there is likely a way around unlocking it. Do some heavy research online and there is surely a way to pay or have it unlocked. ...

The Verizon iPhone 5 and 5s are basically unlocked GSM phones that also have a CDMA chip inside (for Verizon). As I understand, in the US they use the CDMA chip for Verizon voice/service and the GSM chip for Verizon data LTE/4g. But if you swap the Verizon GSM chip for another carrier (US or abroad), the CDMA part is disabled and the phone works as a regular unlocked GSM smart phone. This is what we've been doing since 2012 with the 5 and now the 5s.

I think the 5s is easily worth the extra money. The fingerprint recognition alone is worth it. ...

I agree. The fingerprint feature is really cool. But the 5c still a bit more economical for those who don't care about this feature (i.e., don't mind typing the PIN code to unlock the phone), and the speed difference between the microprocessors is not very noticeable. If money is no issue, go for the 5s.

I'm on Claro too. Every carrier's chip will work on my phone I just don't get 3g/HSPA. I went with Claro because they're the only carrier I can get a month to month plan without a DNI. The other carriers would only let me do "tarjeta" or pay as you go and that is a rip off here. I've called Verizon 2 times, the first time I got a line of BS, and the second time I got some rude girl that kept interrupting me every time I was trying to explain to her the problem. Not too excited about trying a third time, but I'll give it a go. All the carriers here have micro SIM, but Claro is the only one that will let you have a month to month contract with out a DNI. You have to pay a AR$100 deposit that you can apply to your bill after 7 months.

I would ask Verizon if you need any sort of unlock code to get 3g features enabled. Other than that, google the problem (might be a settings issue?), or take it to a Claro office in the hopes you'll get a knowledgeable service rep that might know to get it working. Do know that 3g networks here suck big time (for all 3 carriers), and there are plenty of bad or no-service areas all around the city and inside. I see mine switch from 3g to E or no service every now and then, when out and about in the city.

I bought a T-Mobile iPhone 5s from Apple before I came down. Apple now sells an unlocked iPhone 5s for the same price. I believe it is the same as the t-mob phone. If you know anyone in the US with a t-mob plan they can add you on for $10 a month. This includes free international texting and cell data. And phone calls (almost) anywhere on the planet for $.20 a minute. Otherwise t-mob sell monthly, no obligation plans for, I believe around $50 per month. You can put a AR chip in and use it as a local phone also when you get back.

Tom

Watch the fineprint on that T-Mobile "Worlwide" chip deal. If you spend more time overseas than in the States they take it down.

Sadly 3G will have a job handling a Skype call here no matter what phone you use.
I have a Galaxy S3 and in my experience, the data connection here is hopeless.
Hopeless in the sense that it's so hit and miss.

I tried a Verizon "Global" phone. Did not work here or in Europe. Total waste of time and money. Now I have an unlocked iphone 4. Works everywhere with local sim card. (T mobile, Telecom Italia, Telefonica.)

Back