Visa DNI question - seeking advice

slider8p

Registered
Hi,

I was born in Buenos Aires and have a DNI (old type) plus an expired Argentine passport (never bothered to renew it as I`ve lived abroad for the last 20 yrs).
Now I want to stay in BA working for the next 6 months. I used my spanish passport to come into the country since my argentine passport expired in 2010.

My question is, would I legally be able to find work with my old DNI and can I leave the country (argentina) after 6 months with my old DNI seeing as by that stage my 90 day visa on my spanish passport would have expired?

Hope it makes sense
Many thanks

Apparently, you will need to renew your AR passport as you will be required to leave on your AR passport more than 60 days. It could take a long time to renew your AR passport so best to get that in motion now.

But here is a thread where it was discussed. The relevant info is on the second page then it goes a bit off topic. ;) This is about a Canadian so you will have to see if the same applies to you as a Spanish citizen.

http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/4326-trapped-argentina-3.html

Many thanks for the response. Would you know if I would be at least able to work using my old DNI?

slider8p said:
Many thanks for the response. Would you know if I would be at least able to work using my old DNI?

I can't see why not. I met an Argentine woman who lived in Spain for 20+ years and when she moved back she still had her old DNI. I don't think they changed them regularly or at all... She still have the old picture of her in the 70s. But really, it's now so much easier to get them (especially if you already have one) why not go and change it for the credit card size ones? It seems you can get them done at the Abasto shopping or so I hear. You'll have to confirm.

You can use your old DNI when applying for a job here. I have seen people over 70 years of age using the documents from their youth years.

Last year was launched the program to get the new DNI, which is composed of the booklet (only used to vote) and the card, similar to the cedula de identidad.

You can call the municipalidad (147) to make an appointment to go the the CGP (Centro de Gestion y Participacion) of your neighbourhood (it takes some months to have the new DNI delivered to your address), stop by Paseo Colon 1093, Capital Federal (where you will get the phone number to make the appointmet to get the new DNI in 2 days), or visit the website http://www.nuevodni.gov.ar/ for further info.

Personally, I called first the phone number to get the DNI in 2 days, however they never answered my phone calls. So, I made the appointment through the Municipalidad and went to the CGP and now I am waiting to get delivered the new DNI soon. It took 20 minutes to do all the paperwork needed.

By the end of the year it was all over the news that there were spots at the malls (shoppings like Abasto, Alto Palermo, Dot or Paseo Alcorta) to obtain the new DNI.

On the passport issue, the place where to go is Azopardo 620. As there are very long lines to wait, I suggest you to go around 3pm ( I think they close at 4). You can search on line for further info. Be patient, because it is also going to be ready in a couple of months, I am not sure if you need to go to pick it up or if it is delivered to your home.

Good luck!

Back