Visa enforcement?

syngirl

Registered
Just saw the following posted on BANewcomers -- anyone heard anything concrete about this? Or is it just como siempre -- vague rumours and cases of "a friend of a friend of mine had this happen"?

------------------------

Hi,,,,
I have a friend that has been living here for over 5yrs with an expired tourist visa,owns a farm out near Mendoza,,,not un-common......he was going to go to the states but was told because of some new law here....that if he left he would not be allowed back in.. He has a friend that lived here for 8+yrs, owns a home here and has a fiance here....he left for the states, paid the fee for expired visa and left,, no problems.,,when he wanted to return he was denied entrance because of this new law...Anyone know or here about this?....thanks for any feed back.

I also read this post but so far there are no replies.

I wonder why individuals in this situation don't apply for citizenship.

Perhaps they haven't read Bajo_cero2's posts on the subject in this fourm.

Migraciones may be getting "tough" regarding tourist (versus resident visas), but I don't think they have the power to trump the Constitution (which prescribes the basic conditions to obtain citizenship). Anyone who owns a farm (TILLS THE SOIL) in Argentina and has been doing so for five years (or even two) should qualify for citizenship, even if they are living here on an expired tourist visa, but they better know their "rights" as well as a good lawyer.

(Of course you don't have to be a farmer to obtain citizendhip.)

I had a consultation at my office last week of a UE citizen with 7 years in Argentina who had a deportation order against her with a restriction of 5 years to re entry the country. She hired expensive paralegals and her case was a nightmare but she expected that I work for peanuts. So, she left the country and she expect to re entry somehow. Regards

And what did she do to get a deportation order against her?

She applied for a residency, as soon as they reject it they started the deportation procedure. Regards

syngirl said:
Just saw the following posted on BANewcomers -- anyone heard anything concrete about this? Or is it just como siempre -- vague rumours and cases of "a friend of a friend of mine had this happen"?

I have a friend that has been living here for over 5yrs with an expired tourist visa,owns a farm out near Mendoza,,,
Sounds like a first rate stinker - owning a farm on a tourist visa and unable to get a residencia inventores ???

"I have this friend who was abducted by little green aliens and had these strange extraterrestrial things inserted in his brain ..."
"Where are those 'things'? "
"Well, he threw them away - and there is also an invisible dragon in my garage."

:D You might have issues if you try to get a residency. All the cases I know about deportation orders are regarding that. I don´t know any case about a perma-tourist. However, there is no advantage about traveling to Uruguay. Regards

These messages are always a bit alarming for me. I came down this time with a new passport so I now only have one stamp from Argentina and I plan to do the visa run once or twice before I apply for residency. I don´t think they were able to look at my previous record of the times I had been here (of course at least a year or so passed this time) because they asked me if it was my first time here. But I should be alright, right? I guess if I get into a sticky situation I can try to start the residency paperwork earlier than I expected to.

jayjane said:
These messages are always a bit alarming for me.
The usual quack-quack, meant to be scary, but as long as none of BAexpat's hundreds of visarunners haven't reported lots of incidences, there is no more reason to be scared of them than of this:

4085052-us-judgment.jpg

Did you notice the 3,207th 'end of the world'?

We all died :eek: - but it got better :D

Back