Visa overstay panic.

What is still not clear to me is after which time you can get a new tourist visa without being illegal. It looks implausible to me that you would only be able to get a tourist visa once in a life time. Can you reenter after a year, is it after 180 days? All I get out of this conversation is that this is nowhere specified.

I assume that being here almost all the time and doing every 90 days a visa run would be illegal. In my case, I am staying 100 days in Buenos Aires, I go out at around day 85 and come back within the valid period of the first visa, I get a new visa and return home within 2 weeks. Since nothing prevents me from getting a new tourist visa and since I am clearly a tourist with no intention to stay here, this seems perfectly legal to me.

I am not a lawyer, but I know that as long as something is not illegal, it is legal. Since no one seems to be able to demonstrate that being in Buenos Aires 100 days a year with 2 tourist visa is illegal, I assume it is legal. If I would know it were illegal, I would not be here 100 days, but adjust my plans to only come for 90 days.

The decree establishes that the abuse of the I-94 (the entry stamp)(Argentina does not requieres visa for US citizens) is illegal. You abuse of it if you are in Argentina over 180 days per year.

But immigration agents have wide freedom and they do whatever they want.

So, you are trying to feel safe and “legal” with the Colonia run but you are liying your self.

It is better to overstay and to pay the fine when you leave because then, they cannot enact a deportation order neither to reject your re entry of a Colonia run.

For comming back with a bad record it is better to do it from Uruguay by bus.

Last edited:
The decree establishes that the abuse of the I-94 (the entry stamp)(Argentina does not requieres visa for US citizens) is illegal. You abuse of it if you are in Argentina over 180 days per year.

I believe this. There are international treaties that say that if you stay more than 180 days per year in a country, you become a citizen of that country. Using tourist visas for this is illegal.

It is better to overstay and to pay the fine when you leave because then, they cannot enact a deportation order neither to reject your re entry of a Colonia run.

For comming back with a bad record it is better to do it from Uruguay by bus.

That would be good advice for people who stay illegally in Argentina. Since I will only be staying 100 days, I do not expect problems in my case, but if I would have, I will let you know.

Back