Visa Rentista and the need for pesification

Yes. Anyone with an asset located in Argentina regardless of whether they are a tax resident of Argentina pays the assets tax on the value of that asset.

Last edited:
All money transfers coming from abroad and impacting into a national bank account will be "pesified", beyond the fact you have (or not) a USD bank account in Argentina opened with your AR$ bank account. Its a Central Bank regulation. Maybe, new government will change that.
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying here -- I'm able to bring in USD to my Argentine USD account without having it turned to pesos, which has been convenient for my USD rent. It requires paperwork, but it's not immediately pesified.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying here -- I'm able to bring in USD to my Argentine USD account without having it turned to pesos, which has been convenient for my USD rent. It requires paperwork, but it's not immediately pesified.
All incoming foreign currency swift transfer will be pesified. Do not expect nothing different than that, in the banking approach.

That is directly contrary to my experience so far.
Hi Julia, could you please expand on how you were able to open a bank account and keep your transferred money in USD? (which bank? paperwork? process? etc.) I am very interested in investigating this option if available. Thank you!

I use Santander Río. Opening it wasn't easy, I had to spend a lot of time talking to the branch manager and explaining that I needed to have the account to show the ability to get my income transferred into the country in order to get my DNI. The paperwork was just my passport, precaria, and CUIL. They're not required to give you an account, as a foreigner without a DNI, just allowed to give you one, and they're very hesitant. The bank's policy is apparently to close non-DNI accounts after 90 days, but so far they haven't.

Receiving money in USD was just through a Swift wire transfer to my dollar account. To have it deposited in the bank in your dollar account, at least at Santander, there's a form from the bank that needs to be submitted in person along with a copy of your precaria. No one at the bank knows what to do with the paperwork that's provided, and they will refuse to speak with the Commercial Exchange office to verify the procedure, so the first time I had to go in a few times to submit the same paperwork until they completed things correctly. They haven't ever changed the dollars to pesos, but I don't usually leave the dollars in there for long, anyway.

Back