Visa Runs

It's actually 2,160 hours (90X24) and the clock starts running from the minute the immigration official records the event in the system. Don't, as I did once, arrive at the immigration counter (for example down at the Buquebus terminal) during hour 2,166.
No. Time is counted by complete days. It finish at 23.59 hs. and, as soon as immigration closes at 2 PM, you have the day after 2 hours of extra time to compensate all those hours they were closed. So, the real dead line is the day after at 9:30.

Last edited:
In that case, if arriving on the 90th calendar day but at a later time during that day compared to the time you entered the country 90 days before, be sure to take your friendly local immigration lawyer with you so that he or she can explain the nuances of the rule to the official. Trust me, some of them are unaware of it. I have stamps in my passport to prove it.

Hey folks, reviving this thread for a quick question. Seems like prevailing wisdom is that visa runs aren't really cool anymore. I'd like to explain my situation and see if anyone can provide some clarity. I overstayed during the pandemic until may 2021, left, came back in August 2021 with a "pareja registrada" document, taking advantage of the family reunification policy during the pandemic. This provides an instant 90 days, but i haven't read anything about it being renewable. I left for two weeks and last reentered the third week of october, with that document.

Do ya'll anticipate problems getting back in the country if i leave for a week in June? I don't have any papers other than the document demonstrating that i'm a family member here.

Also, accepting any contacts to immigration lawyers who may be able to get me a precaria before june - i have a business trip to New York and need to know if i'll be able to reenter the country upon return.

Hey folks, reviving this thread for a quick question. Seems like prevailing wisdom is that visa runs aren't really cool anymore. I'd like to explain my situation and see if anyone can provide some clarity. I overstayed during the pandemic until may 2021, left, came back in August 2021 with a "pareja registrada" document, taking advantage of the family reunification policy during the pandemic. This provides an instant 90 days, but i haven't read anything about it being renewable. I left for two weeks and last reentered the third week of october, with that document.

Do ya'll anticipate problems getting back in the country if i leave for a week in June? I don't have any papers other than the document demonstrating that i'm a family member here.

Also, accepting any contacts to immigration lawyers who may be able to get me a precaria before june - i have a business trip to New York and need to know if i'll be able to reenter the country upon return.
If you entered in Oct 2021, haven't you overstayed at this point?

You need a new FBI Criminal Background check to apply for LR at radex.
If you start the procedure just before leaving, let’s say a week, you have a file number, apply for the FBI CBC and come back with the receip. You should not have problems.

What do you mean as pareja registrada?
it’s a paper that my girlfriend and i got done at a escribano during the pandemic that certified that we were a family unit. different than the coliving document, but was effectively the same under the family reunification policy in act during the pandemic. to my understanding, at least

You need a new FBI Criminal Background check to apply for LR at radex.
If you start the procedure just before leaving, let’s say a week, you have a file number, apply for the FBI CBC and come back with the receip. You should not have problems.
so you’re saying i should apply for long term residency without my CBC, i’ll receive a precaria number before submitting paperwork, and i can come back with the documents that are necessary for the appointment?

so you’re saying i should apply for long term residency without my CBC, i’ll receive a precaria number before submitting paperwork, and i can come back with the documents that are necessary for the appointment?
Not exactly but close. You will have a RADEX file that shows you are on the process to have legal residency. There is not a fake tourist that is the excuse to reject you at the border.

Not exactly but close. You will have a RADEX file that shows you are on the process to have legal residency. There is not a fake tourist that is the excuse to reject you at the border.
I think i understand. So i won't have anything to show them, per se, but they'll see in my file upon entry that i'm in process, thus making it more likely that they'll let me in?

Back