Visa Runs

cais

Registered
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum. I'd like to work as a digital nomad in BA but for more than 90 days; however, I had read comments in various threads saying that doing visa runs has become more difficult recently. Is anyone able to share their recent experiences? Is it just because it's more difficult to get in/out because of COVID? Or is it more difficult in the sense of getting back in with another 90-day tourist visa? If the latter, would it help if I spent several weeks in another country before coming back to Argentina?

I had also read about the option of extending the 90-day visa by another 90 days by going to Migraciones but that this option had been suspended for the time being? Then I had also read about the one-year digital nomad visa but there doesn't seem to have a timeframe for when that would happen exactly?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You can't just hop over to Uruguay now. You have to have a negative test and proof of health insurance. And proof of vaccination.

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum. I'd like to work as a digital nomad in BA but for more than 90 days; however, I had read comments in various threads saying that doing visa runs has become more difficult recently. Is anyone able to share their recent experiences? Is it just because it's more difficult to get in/out because of COVID? Or is it more difficult in the sense of getting back in with another 90-day tourist visa? If the latter, would it help if I spent several weeks in another country before coming back to Argentina?

I had also read about the option of extending the 90-day visa by another 90 days by going to Migraciones but that this option had been suspended for the time being? Then I had also read about the one-year digital nomad visa but there doesn't seem to have a timeframe for when that would happen exactly?

Thanks in advance for your help!
My advice. Try to do one visa run and see. At day 60-70 go to UY or another country. Stay for a day or 2. When you are back they will likely give you 90 days. Worst case scenario they count the days left and give you 20-30. If they do that, just try to extend at Migraciones for another 90 days. And if that doesn't work, overstay and pay the fine. If you do it just once that is not going to have any repercussions for you in the future. Visa runs are only a problem if you do it multiple time, the 1st time it should not raise any red flags. But IMMV.

Based on my own experience as well as what I remember reading on the migraciones website, if and when migraciones starts to grant the 90 day extensions again, you should ask for the "prorroga de permenencia" no more than ten days prior to the expiration date of your 90 day (not three months) tourist permit.

Also, if the "nomad visa" program is ever enacted, if I understand correctly, you should be able to stay in the country for six months without paying income taxes in Argentina or paying an overstay fee if you leave before the "visa" expires.

PS: Also, based on what I've read, if you want to stay longer than six months as a "digital nomad" you will lose the income tax exemption, but (IMO) you won't really be a nomad.

Last edited:
Can someone point me to where Migraciones aren't doing the prorroga de permenencia any longer? Thanks.

Can someone point me to where Migraciones aren't doing the prorroga de permenencia any longer? Thanks.

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 in Returning after overstaying visa:

I went to migraciones 2 months ago and asked for a tourist visa extension. They were not doing them temporarily because few tourists are actually entering right now. I don't know if this is still the case.

Since then, however, I haven't seen any posts in this forum by anyone who was recently granted a prorroga. I suggest contacting migraciones to find out their current policy.

Last edited:
The CABA’s nomad’s visa is a delirium that never is going to happend because it is a Federal matter. We are not a confederation.
The visa runs are illegals since 2010 and everytime you do it you put yourself in danger of being rejected at the border.
With Covid-19 now is a crime to break sanitary regulations and you are seen as an irresponsible person and a danger to public safety, which is precisely what enables an indisputable border rejection.
What expats do not understand is the following: if you overstay you become an inhabitant with the right to live here. If you accept to play with immigration rules, you are under the rules of a running slave / desertor from conscription, because this is the source of immigration law.
So, overstay.
If you want to live here, overstay or apply for legal residency or citizenship.

Here's the page with info regarding the prorroga de permanencia of the tourist visa from the migraciones website:

I didn't see anything that indicated the extensions are not available at this time, but that doesn't mean they are.

PS: The site indicates "three months" is the term of the tourist visa, but a few members have previously posted that they had to pay the overstay fine after a "three month"stay, leaving on the same day (numerically) of the third month and had actually exceeded 90 days by just one day.

Last edited:
The ba city government is introducing a one year digital nomad visa soon. Wait for that.

The ba city government is introducing a one year digital nomad visa soon. Wait for that.
A city cannot enact a law about International Private neither Public Law that is a matter of the Federal Congress because it is a Federal Law.

Back