Visas! Please respond quickly! Thanks!

bmagda

Registered
So, I emailed the argentine consulate near me, and they said that if I try to board a plane with a ticket more than 90 days in the future, I would be denied entry into the plane/country? Is this true? Has anyone experienced this? Please advise. I'm really nervous! Thanks so much!!

Depends, I've heard stories about this but have never personally had a problem and I'm almost always coming into the country without a return or with one more than 3 months in advance.

I came here on a 1 way ticket in June 2010 and had no problems. If they ask, tell them you are going to Uruguay in a couple months or something.

I've lived in Bs As for the last 5 years. And have flown in and out of BA more than 10 times during this time and NEVER had a return ticket out - and NEVER been asked anything.
However, the issue is if - the airline you are bording with in another country has an issue with the fact that you need a ticket out. And I've heard that can be a problem.
However. I have always arrived in BA on a 1-way ticket and never had a problem. OK, I've had other immigration problems, but they are due to other things - not a 1 way ticket.

I came in on a one-way ticket last week and was never questioned about when I was leaving. If I had been, I was prepared to tell them that I was going to be in Argentina for a few months before heading to other countries in South America but I hadn't yet purchased tickets out of Argentina.

I've heard of issues with certain airlines but I wouldn't expect you to have a problem at the border from immigration.

A good back-up is a flexible ticket to Uruguay from Buquebus.com. You'll end up having to take the trip anyway, but if you buy it beforehand and print it out, it's proof of onward travel that you can present if asked.

I've read on the intertubes that the airlines exploit the situation by forcing some people into buying return tickets they don't need on the spot.

Thanks for the responses. Appreciate them a lot. I've bought my ticket already with a return of December 20 departing July 16. I'm flying united. Has anyone had issues with that airline? Should I just get the uruguay ticket and show that if they have an issue with my stay in Argentina? Thanks again!!

United will definitely give you trouble- I just had that experience with them. After a long argument and almost having to buy a $2000 refundable ticket someone wandered out from the back with the rule book and it turned out that they only had to "advise" people that they should have proof of onward travel, not require it. But it was a pain in the ass and it's easier to just get a cheap bus/boat ticket out of the country. I ask and they said they would accept that.

Argentina doesn't care at all, like others I have flown in several times with no proof of onward travel and have NEVER been asked to show anything. It's just the airlines.

I've never had a problem. I overstayed my visa by 2 months last time.. and i kept reading scare stories on this forum about people who got kicked out, and that they were 'cracking down'. Not true at all.

Montrose said:
United will definitely give you trouble- I just had that experience with them. After a long argument and almost having to buy a $2000 refundable ticket someone wandered out from the back with the rule book and it turned out that they only had to "advise" people that they should have proof of onward travel, not require it. But it was a pain in the ass and it's easier to just get a cheap bus/boat ticket out of the country. I ask and they said they would accept that.

Argentina doesn't care at all, like others I have flown in several times with no proof of onward travel and have NEVER been asked to show anything. It's just the airlines.

Thanks! That's good to know. I have the ticket coming back, but I'm just nervous they'll be angry it's so far out in the future. Although, I am under the 180 days that I am legally allowed to stay in the country. I'll buy the buquebus ticket and show that if they have an issue with.

Back