visiting again in October, 10 days: good idea? or go to Uruguay?

BAvisitor

Registered
Hi,

Have ticket (Aerolineas, heaven help me!) to visit BA in October and now have the jitters after reading all the warnings here about petty crime, strikes, bad exchange rate (therefore, inflated prices), etc.

I've been to BA twice: once in '09 for about a week and then for a couple of days last May. I found things cost more in general, but could still find decent values if you know where to look (happy hour at La Cabrera, for example), but it no longer is the cheap BA of '09. That said, I still had a great time - found decent lodging ($55 at the Bristol, a fluke really), ate well. There were no outward signs of problems. Maybe I was just lucky?

This time, I'm considering an apartment rental instead of a hotel. I'll be going with a first-time visitor but I feel like I know a bit of the city. Is this safe? Looking at Recoleta, Palermo (overpriced I think)... the usual suspects.

Concerned about having to spend 11 days in the city, would it be worth it to go to Uruguay for half that time? I know, subjective... but any feedback would be appreciated.

Also hate the idea about getting the same low amount of pesos for my U$. That just kind of puts a general damper on things. :eek:

Thanks all.

Nothing to worry about my friend. Especially for a 10 day retreat BA is amazing: food, culture, night life. Awesome.

Unless you prefer the beach - then Punta del Este all the way!

October:
Palo Borracho trees are in full bloom.
282891_10151041410703255_1127139487_n.jpg

...and the best weather of the whole year, in my opinion. (People start going to the park and taking their clothes off... which is nice.)

119th HURLINGHAM OPEN POLO CHAMPIONSHIP
The Ayrshire Cup (in Hurlingham)
WHERE: Hurlingham Club
WHEN: Tuesday, October 16th through Sunday, November 4th

10/26 (Friday) Noche de las Galerias (Recoleta & Retiro/Plaza San Martin Galleries)

Soccer (Futbol Season in full swing.

You can also take a City Tour, Shopping Tour, Art Tour, Off-The-Beaten-Path Tour, Interior Design Tour... (ask me more)

And if you come, bring US Dollars in US$50s & US$100s and plan on spending that rather than using your credit cards and/or withdrawing money from ATMs.

With 10 days, I would think about spending a few days elsewhere. Not because of crime, prices, etc (something to worry about when living here, not for a 10-day visit) but because I'm not sure you need so much time in BA. 5-7 days sure, but there are a ton of other wonderful places in Argentina (especially if you can afford to fly).

Napoleon said:
...and the best weather of the whole year, in my opinion. (People start going to the park and taking their clothes off... which is nice.)

Not always. I'm sorry to differ in that.

BlueSummer said:
or what yanqiii ?

Nice! That must be a record for this forum, for it to get nasty on the first page, it usually takes 3 or 4. But then a recent suggestion of mine to try and keep this forum positive was shot down...

BA Visitor, I recommend that you come here for the whole 11 days. Don't let the negative hype put you off. It's a fantastic place to be for that amount of time, and as long as you take reasonable precautions, you should be perfectly safe.

If you're only coming here for 11 days then ignore most of the posts. Those posts are written by people, including myself, about things that permanent residents have to deal with. You won't have to worry about them.

As for crime, just take basic precautions and you should be fine.

There are ways to get higher exchange rate if you have dollars on you. But only bring in what you intend to spend.

Go to Uruguay if you want to visit it, not to escape from buenos aires.

After two years of tranquil life in a beautiful setting in the south of Provencia Bs. As. even I think BA would be wonderful for a week or so in October...especially if I could bring back a suitcase full of goodies from barrio chino and attend an art auction or two at the banco ciudad...as well as get a few docs with only my middle initial certified at the US Embassy in case I ever want to get married in Argentina.

On second thought, perhaps I should stay put. :)

Especially if I want to continue the tranquil life. :D

PS: I really might take the big city break if I had the chance...and someone to take care of my pups. :rolleyes:

just some ideas if you want to spend 6 days in buenos aires, for the remaining days iguazu is nice, mendoza, also you will be here right in the whale season in patagonia

Back