Visiting bodegas in Mendoza: would like advice

chris

Registered
I'm going to be in Mendoza in July (weekend) and would like to go to a couple of wineries for wine tastings and possibly lunch. I'm not interested in a tour of wine making (I've done that many times). Also do not want to drive so I wonder how it could be arranged. Remise? Uber? Tour company? Also I read that most wineries are not open on weekends. Is this true? Any suggestions on which wineries I might go to (they'd need to be close to each other). Any advice from experienced people would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
We have been to Mendoza several times and our favorite places to visit (and avoid the touristy tour) are Carmelo Patti, Achaval Ferrer, Bressia and Trez. Carmelo is closer to the city, but the other ones are more or less near each other. Usually you need to make an appointment. We drove ourselves, but you can definitely arrange with a driver for a reasonable price. I remember the wineries being closed on Sundays, but not sure about Saturdays.

We have been to Mendoza several times and our favorite places to visit (and avoid the touristy tour) are Carmelo Patti, Achaval Ferrer, Bressia and Trez. Carmelo is closer to the city, but the other ones are more or less near each other. Usually you need to make an appointment. We drove ourselves, but you can definitely arrange with a driver for a reasonable price. I remember the wineries being closed on Sundays, but not sure about Saturdays.

Thanks. I looked at all of their websites (Bressia's is useless - no information). Carmello Patti's is the most interesting. Except for Achaval, these are not well known (to me anyway) wineries. Is that why you chose them? None seem to have restaurants. Lagarde is one that does offer lunch at very high prices (I think around 1,700-2,500 pesos including wine tasting). I wonder if it is worth it. Is it far from Carmelo? Reservations seem necessary in all these places. I wonder how easily this can be planned, especially if hiring a car/driver is involved. Any suggestions about finding a driver?
Thanks.

If I may suggest Search Trip Advisor for Mendoza Wine Visits. Plenty of options , opinions, tours, recommendations, etc. Also Mendoza Turismo..
and also drivers https://driverinmendoza.com/

Note the private driver package includes 4 wineries tour, plus expert guide..! To Valle del Uco, Maipu or Lujan de Cuyo or Combination..!

Note the private driver package includes 4 wineries tour, plus expert guide..! To Valle del Uco, Maipu or Lujan de Cuyo or Combination..!

Thanks. I didn't see prices. I get the feeling that they're priced for the international market.

Thanks. I didn't see prices. I get the feeling that they're priced for the international market.
Most likely price in US$ meant for the independently wealthy. Other hire group tours or go by bike or bus to nearby vineyards...

I highly agree with the rec for Carmelo Patti and will also add winemaker Brennan Firth to that list (his winery is called Cepas Elegidas) His is more of a hang out with the winemaker, eat and drink type affair than a sterilized tour. And it's great wine as well. I also love SuperUco winery from the Michelini Brothers (though that is further away from the rest I've mentioned so far). I would ask one of the winemakers/folks you talk to when you set up the tastings as they may be able to set you up with a driver at a better cost. The tour companies are OK but they typically like to pick certain wineries that wind up a bit generic at times with no real "onda." Those I've mentioned offer a far more personalized experience and are wines that fairly interesting. Caelum was another nice place I enjoyed visiting.

If you stay in one of the boutique hotels on Viamonte, between Chacras de Coria and Luján de Cuyo, you can walk to these wineries, both open Saturdays (closed Sundays):

Clos de Chacras
Monte Líbano 1025
Chacras de Coria, Mendoza

Cánepa Martin*
Viamonte 3869
Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza
(* If you want lunch, you need to book)

If you arrive on Friday before 4pm, you can start your weekend with some fizz at:

Cavas Rosel Boher
Pueyrredon 1210
Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza

I suggest you lunch at Lagarde Winnery. Ask for the 6 steps menu with the upgrade of wines.
Try to go to Valle de Uco, it is impresive. The Hotel Auverge du Vin is a good choise.

Back