Visiting The Falklands/Malvinas

Gringoboy

Registered
Has anyone done this trip?
I know the politics on this are a little fluid at the moment, to say the least. Especially with CK's offer to fly direct from Aeroparque, which I think has been sadly rejected by the Falklands people.
Punta Arenas seems the only option for now.
I'd really love to do this trip with my Argentine wife.

We've been there. It was really interesting...and wasn't at all like Argentina.
There are several BA to Santiago cruises that stop at Las Malvinas/The Falklands.

http://www.falklands.gov.fk/Getting_Here.html has all the info you need.

A visa is NOT required for those who:

1. Arrive onboard a cruise ship and do not spend a night in the Islands.
  2. Hold a passport from the following countries: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea (Republic), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tawain, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Vatican City.
  3. Have a passport or international travel document issued by the Red Cross or United Nations.

Yes, on the monthly flight from Rio Gallegos and back... you get get 8 days of blighty and pure, untouched magical wilderness !!! PM me if you need to know more.

perpetualholiday said:
We've been there. It was really interesting...and wasn't at all like Argentina.
There are several BA to Santiago cruises that stop at Las Malvinas/The Falklands.
Although Stanley is frequently listed on cruise itineraries, you shouldn't count on actually stopping there. With no major dock, the ships have to tender passengers, and the weather often precludes the use of small tenders. From what I read, fewer than half the scheduled cruises actually made the stop, as opposed to passing by from a distance.

I've been a little obsessed about travelling to the Falklands for a wee bit. Raymond, my childhood, fishing tackle proprietor in the UK, used to regale me with his stories of fishing adventures worldwide.
One on the list of pools I still haven't achieved is the Frying Pan pool in the Falklands.
Hell, there might be a decent pint of bitter out there too, not this overly hopped trough-water they attempt to brew here.

Anyone ever heard of private or chartered flights flying there from Argentina?

rrptownley said:

The Argentine Air Force had a bunch of flights over there in the early 80's. Not all of the flights were round-trip, though. :rolleyes: (sorry, bad joke)

On a more serious note - if you get a chance take the battlefield tours they have. I was both a US Marine and later transferrred to the Navy and served 8 years as a fighter pilot. We studied the Argentinian Air Force tactics heavily and the battlefield tours were fascinating! (if you are bent that way)

I've been to the Falklands. As someone said here, not at all like Argentina. Reminded me of Cornwall. Very beautiful and rugged. Port Stanley is impeccable.

rrptownley said:

The k's banned all charter flights to the islands so no.

GS_Dirtboy said:
The Argentine Air Force had a bunch of flights over there in the early 80's. Not all of the flights were round-trip, though. :rolleyes: (sorry, bad joke)

On a more serious note - if you get a chance take the battlefield tours they have. I was both a US Marine and later transferrred to the Navy and served 8 years as a fighter pilot. We studied the Argentinian Air Force tactics heavily and the battlefield tours were fascinating! (if you are bent that way)
Very interesting, but why would the Navy bother to study Arg Airforce tactics. They barely have what anyone would consider an Air....FORCE. Just curious.

Back