Voltage/Adapter Issue

Magis

Registered
Just got here from US and I have two haircutting clippers and when I tried to plug them into the adapter that I have been using for my laptop (which works fine) it made "awful" sound and I am guessing the voltage/adapter is different. I am hoping there is a different adapter for this.

The power for one trimmer says 10W, 120V, 60 Hz
The power for the other trimmer says 12W, 120V, 60Hz

The adapter that I have and that works for my laptop says 10A/250V

Any idea what I need to get to fix this problem????

Your laptop adapter isn't going to work. What you need to get is a transformer. You should be able to pick one up at a hardware store or some place that sells electrical supplies. They aren't expensive. I would take the trimmers with you to insure you get the correct size.

Philsword said:
Your laptop adapter isn't going to work. What you need to get is a transformer. You should be able to pick one up at a hardware store or some place that sells electrical supplies. They aren't expensive. I would take the trimmers with you to insure you get the correct size.

Thanks, walked through the ghost city that is BA today to Florida and purchased an adapter with 50W & 110 V and it worked with one of the trimmers but the one with the 12W, 120V, 60Hz still isn't working. Happy to have gotten the main one to work though! I paid 50 pesos for it. Meh

Might need another adapter for the one that isn't working.

Magis said:
Might need another adapter for the one that isn't working.

You might find that the one that isn't working went 'pop' when you put double the required voltage through it. I recommend you have it tested before you shell out more money on another transformer.

Thanks for info. It still works, just really loud. Similar sound to the other one but before the transformer fix. I'll bring it to a hardware store to see if they have a suitable adapter :) Thanks again

yeah, regular american appliances can easily be burned here the very first time u connect them. It's better just to get some here with the right voltage - or next time u buying the in the states, make sure that they can work with the different ones - u can find them in travel stores.

Back