Voltage advice...

Neilcampbell31

Registered
Hello all,

I arrived in BA from London 2 weeks ago - great place so far.

One thing I would like some advice on if possible is regarding my laptop and the voltage in Argentina. So I have a UK plug adapter in order to recharge my laptop however the laptop adapter gets very hot and I am concerned.

Does this sound like something to do with the fact that the laptop adapter is not built for the different voltage out here? Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

Thank you so much!

Neil

same voltage as in the uk and most laptop adapters are built for 110 - 240v so don't worry.

As Scotttswan said, the power is totally compatible. But remember that the weather is not. Unless you have aircon, a device that was running in the UK at, say 15degC above ambient might well now be running at 15degC above ambient here. But ambient has been 30, nearly 40 and so 55degC feels hot!

just to be clear for everyone in the future, voltage here is 220v 50hz

Hi Neil,

Elhombresinnombre is very correct, it is most likely that your laptop did not get to heat up to the danger level back in the UK cause of the temperatures there being lower on average. Your laptop was probably on the edge of it's heat limits, but over here it's over the line. How old is your laptop? If it's anything over a year then , depending on the design of the cooling system, it may be partly blocked with lint & dust.

Neilcampbell31 said:
Hello all,

I arrived in BA from London 2 weeks ago - great place so far.

One thing I would like some advice on if possible is regarding my laptop and the voltage in Argentina. So I have a UK plug adapter in order to recharge my laptop however the laptop adapter gets very hot and I am concerned.

Does this sound like something to do with the fact that the laptop adapter is not built for the different voltage out here? Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

Thank you so much!

Neil

Thanks a lot for all the information chaps. I was honestly worried that I had some sort of voltage issue.

You are right - my laptop is kind of old. Maybe it's time to buy a new one. (Online from the UK of course!)

Neil

Yeah as has been said, a laptop charger is safe my Mac charger gets super hot too. It worried me in the past. but with other electronics make sure they match up, I need an adaptor for my playstation 3, as well as my stereo, and a fan. but the power may be different in Englad than it is in the US so you may be safe.

Back