Volunteer work placements, taboo or strange?

jago25_98

Registered
I visit BA every 3 months for a month each time. It's fairly unpredictable work while I'm away from BA. As a result of that I suggested to my girlfriend that perhaps I could volunteer at an English school while she's at work. It's something I've done with other companies. The idea is that they appreciate the free help and in return the volunteer gets an insight into the workplace before committing to it. She says she doesn't understand. I don't really understand what the problem is. Could it be that all English schools are pay for only in Buenos Aires and it's just a bit weird to offer help for free?

I'm finding it difficult to parse your actual question here: are you looking for an unpaid way into a paid job or are you looking to give your time up as an altruistic volunteer or is it something else? Private or faith schools will teach English and other foreign languages and could probably make use of a free, volunteer, native-speaker language assistant - even if only available for a month at a time, three or four times a year - but just wandering in off the street is not likely to be very productive - especially right now as the schools will be on holiday until at least the end of February. :)

As in so many things, personal recommendation counts for so much. I'm sure that amongst your girl-friend's family and friends and amongst your own Argentine friends there are children attending secondary school: ask the responsible adult to contact their school on your behalf.

Back