Volunteering at Organic Farm in BA?

MClare

Registered
I've heard that there is an organic farm here in capital federal. Does anyone know about this? Where it is/how to get in touch/how to volunteer, etc.? It is incredibly hard to volunteer in this country - either they charge you an arm and a leg or you have to do a 20 hr/wk intership. Anyone got any ideas?

My daughter is into organic farming - she's out of town now, but I'll ask her when she returns.

You are right, volunteering is an alien concept in Argentina.

Technically there is no such thing as organic farming as water cannot be classified as organic. If you do find a farm that claims to be organic they will be lying,

hmm...you mean to say that there is no such thing as organic food in the entire world?

perhaps in that case from a biologist point of view, you are correct, but i think we all know what they mean by organic? no fertilizers, pesticides, etc....

Not every volunteer opportunity is a scam but many do charge you especially if they are advertising in English. There is an organization here called Un Techo Para Mi Pais (A Roof for My Country) and they are very simmilar to Habitat for Humanity. They do weekend build projects. You have to go for the whole weekend and bring your own plates/forks/cups. You are also camping out in a church or a school so you have to bring sleep gear, but it is a great experience. I they charge like 50 pesos for the food they provide and I believe you also get a t-shirt. As far as organic farming opportunities, have you checked with WWOOF? Good luck!

MClare said:
hmm...you mean to say that there is no such thing as organic food in the entire world?

perhaps in that case from a biologist point of view, you are correct, but i think we all know what they mean by organic? no fertilizers, pesticides, etc....

But the water used for crops contain fertilizers and pesticides. They have contaminated the entire eco system. Nothing that contains water or which has used water can technically be organic, it is all a marketing scam.

MClare said:
I've heard that there is an organic farm here in capital federal. Does anyone know about this? Where it is/how to get in touch/how to volunteer, etc.? It is incredibly hard to volunteer in this country - either they charge you an arm and a leg or you have to do a 20 hr/wk intership. Anyone got any ideas?

I remember reading an article on Clarin last month in which they mention some kind of community living on the UBA campus near River Plate and that they autoproduce the things they eat, kind of hippie stuff I guess.

Besides Australia, the countries with the most organic area are Argentina (3.1 million hectares), China (2.3 million hectares), and the United States (1.6 million hectares). Much of Argentina's organic farmland is pasture, like that of Australia (2007:42). Italy, Spain, Germany, Brazil, Uruguay, and the UK follow the United States by the amount of land managed organically (2007:26).

Source: Wikipedia (not the best source, but a start)

There's an association of organic farmers somewhere in Capital. Try to google it up in Spanish and see what you can get. I'd start there. Good luck!

Back