Warning to women

dmbailey

Registered
I want to share this story of my experience last night so that other women might be able to learn from it and heed this warning.

So last night I took a cab home after meeting a friend for drinks in Palermo because I didn't want to walk home alone in the dark. Should be the safe choice, right? Well, hold that thought. I sat directly behind the taxi driver, and we didn't speak the entire ride until we pulled up to the corner of my street. I gave him the fare, he handed me my change, and I went to open the door and get out. When I did that, he locked the door and asked me to exit on the other side of the car so I would not open the door into the street (which I have heard here before, so I paid it no mind). I slid over to the other side and as I cracked open the door he started saying, "Linda! Linda, mira! Mira!" So I turned around to see what he was asking me to look at to find him with his dick sticking straight out of his pants while he was jerking off. He said some filthy things and I screamed some insults at him as I tried to escape, when he tried to grab my hand and told me to "touch it." So obviously I smacked his hand away from me and just as I was about to step out of the cab I saw the disgusting and absolutely infuriating smirk on his face as he continued to masturbate right in front of me and I couldn't help myself....my fist landed right on his nose and he instantly yelled and cupped his hand to catch the flow of blood. I jumped out, slammed the door shut and kicked a small but noticeable dent into the side of the car, and screamed out a couple last insults and obscenities in as he sped off.

I realized later that it was most definitely not the right choice to further endanger myself and stay in the car for that extra second just to punch the smirk off of his face but I don't think I was entirely coherent as it happened. My head felt like this cloud of rage had just taken charge of all my senses and I wasn't thinking or acting logically. I was extremely lucky in this situation because I had already opened the door so he could not hit the automatic lock, and because there were a few people around and I don't think he would have gotten out of the car to pursue me while hanging out of his pants. I slipped into the bar on my street for a couple minutes to make sure he wouldn't come back around to see which apartment I walked into, and to simply catch my breath and steady myself.

Ladies, please always be alert and prepared when you are alone in the city, especially at night. I know I should have handled the situation better and just run away immediately, but I am very glad to be unscathed, though likely scarred. I couldn't believe that this happened to me in an area that is considered to be so safe (Recoleta)....it feels like I dreamed it now.

no . u should have taken down his car number and plate number and made the denuncia.

Again, a logical thought which had not occurred to me until a minute too late. A combination of adrenaline and fear does not always make the best recipe for the smartest decisions. I wished I had as soon as he turned the corner.

Yes, it was. Unfortunately I don't think I'll feel comfortable taking any taxis by myself from now on.

I am so, so sorry to hear this happened to you. Taking cabs alone has always made me nervous late at night because things like this can and do happen. And I know exactly what you mean about the adrenaline and fear. Your heart is pounding, blood is rushing to your head and you can't think straight because you're in shock. My reaction in a similar situation in a boliche, just my gut, animal instinct, was to throw my drink at the guy's face as hard as I could, then shove him away from me. He was drunk and fell to the ground, and I ran away sobbing. It did not occur to me to do anything logical like get the manager to throw him out, call the police (yeah right), etc. People who have never been sexually harassed sometimes don't get that you're not in an emotional place to be calm, grab a pen and a piece of paper, and start writing down information. By the time you are, it's often too late.

Good for you for punching him. It was self defense. He tried to grab your hand!! Who knows, if you hadn't done it, he might have sped away with you still in the cab. I'm glad you're okay, but know that it may take you some time to work through this. Don't let anyone make you feel like you just have to "get over it" because "it's not like you were raped" (idiots will say this) or that it was all your fault because you should have been more careful, chosen a taxi with a really old driver, etc.

Sorry to hear what happened. Even as a guy I take a Remise/radio taxi late at night for security when in BA.

My suggestion to single women (or anyone) worried about this sort of thing is to find a reputable Remise/radio taxi company and always keep the number on you. Call a car, don't hail one on the street.

I have always used Radio Taxi Tango (011) 4862 2222 been very happy with the service. They once overcharge my parents; I called up and complained and the taxi driver was made to call by my apartment and return what he overcharged.

I really appreciate the tips and condolences, guys. It's definitely comforting to know that there are other kind and considerate people here when something like this makes you feel just so alone. I think I will start using that remis/radio taxi service to always have the car number on me, another expat just informed me that she will only use that service, as well, so maybe I'll work up the courage to use cabs again eventually.

So sorry to hear about your experience and good for you that you fought back -

You know a very forgotten option is the good ole bus. I often come home late at night by bus and never felt unsafe even though I live in a complicated environment. But what works in my favour is that there is always people and police at the street corner . It might work for you it might not.

I second the idea of a taxi remis service that know you. I have used one before recommended to me and they call you back to advise that the service is outside your house. It has happened that radio traffic gets overheard and a rogue taxi gets there before the one you ordered. Or a passing opportunist taxi sees you waiting and puts two and two together. Mine is Tutaxi and their number is 48580111

Back