Warren Buffet on the inequities of us tax policy

salgueiro said:

SINCE this article came out, it came to light that Buffet owes over 1 BILLION dollars in back taxes. Also, he changed his stance a few times saying that taxing the rich isn't a good idea and won't fix anything.

He also made his big push with Obama during this time so he could make more BILLIONS by investing in Bank of America.

All in all...a complete sham.

I guess other wealthier people than me know how to work the system, but as a small businessman who employs 5 or more people, I need to empty out my bank account every three months and send it to the government in taxes, all in all I spend 30% of my income in income tax, but still have to pay payroll tax, property tax, franchise tax, etc. so that over half my income goes to the government. I think that any proposal to increase that percentage will force me to join those who do not work, employ nobody, and live off the government. That seems to be their goal.

JWB said:
SINCE this article came out, it came to light that Buffet owes over 1 BILLION dollars in back taxes. Also, he changed his stance a few times saying that taxing the rich isn't a good idea and won't fix anything.

He also made his big push with Obama during this time so he could make more BILLIONS by investing in Bank of America.

All in all...a complete sham.
Can you please provide supporting points and references?
Willing to bet its not as sinister as you try to make us believe.

captainmcd said:
I guess other wealthier people than me know how to work the system, but as a small businessman who employs 5 or more people, I need to empty out my bank account every three months and send it to the government in taxes, all in all I spend 30% of my income in income tax, but still have to pay payroll tax, property tax, franchise tax, etc. so that over half my income goes to the government. I think that any proposal to increase that percentage will force me to join those who do not work, employ nobody, and live off the government. That seems to be their goal.
Wasnt Obama in favor of reducing payroll tax?
Wasnt Obama in favor of giving tax cuts to all who earn less than 250K /year?
It seems you need to refocus your anger.

scarface said:
Wasnt Obama in favor of reducing payroll tax?
Wasnt Obama in favor of giving tax cuts to all who earn less than 250K /year?
It seems you need to refocus your anger.
My anger is on the Government, squarely where it belongs. Things were bad under both parties, but Obama's class warfare that blames the richest people, making over 250K, which is most small businessmen including myself, who are already bleeding, and he promises to veto a republican bill that extends both the payroll tax reduction and the unemployment benefits, but requests him to approve a pipeline. That puts him in an tough spot. Labor unions want it, environmental lobbies oppose it, and those are two of his powerful supporters. He wants to put it off until after the elections so that he can keep both in his camp until he makes a decision that will make one of them mad. Such is the game of politics, and I am tired of it.

Sorry, but if you have an adjusted gross income in excess of 250K (for a small businessman that is an income of 250 net of business overhead/ expenses) I don't have a lot of sympathy for you just because your tax burden is raised 1 or 2 %. Income tax rates are much lower now than they have been since before WWII. Since the Eisenhower admin when top rates were around 90%, rates have been lowered periodically including as recently as during the admin of incompetent and corrupt asshole Bush 2. Consequently, your kvetching is ill-considred. You and those earning above 250K should consider themselves fortunate to live in a country where a combination of hard work and intelligence (or luck or being born with a silver spoon) enables them to acquire the standard of living that kind of income allows.
Don't bitch about paying some more taxes when your country needs to raise money to stay afloat. It's only fair the revenue should come from those at the top of the ladder. Besides, Obama's tax proposals fall heaviest on those earning more than 1 million. That is not unjust way to increase govt revenue when the budget is in desperate need of repair.

Back