Washington Post argentina inflation article: HN discussion

Interesting article. Regarding stockpiling the freezer, one trick I used to do to maximize my freezer space was to use a wire basket that is about the size of my freezer shelf. It allowed me to fill the freezer shelf full and at the same time easily be able to take out the basket and dig for the food when I need it. Much harder to pack the freezer without a basket.

My "hot" freezer tip? Don't rely on your freezer: learn about canning, preserving, salting and drying instead. Putting your faith in your freezer is incompatible with living in a city of random power outages of up to a week or longer.

Hot freezer tip no.2: after a power outage be very, very careful where you shop. Any store without its own auxiliary power generation won't have been able to withstand loss of electricity any better than your home.

I like to put a frozen cup of water in the freezer with a coin or washer on top the ice. Gives you an idea if your freezer ever turned off or to what extent the defrosting was based on how deep the coin sunk before freezing again.

But yeah, gas stations are big offenders too. I stop at a couple particular ones during the day to buy sandwiches for my field trips. During the day the reach in coolers are going and everything is cold. If you happen to return late from the field and stop for a road sandwich dinner all the coolers are turned off until the morning. Cuidad.

Well consumers deserve the price gouging. Lettuce goes from $100 pesos to $800 pesos in a week . Grocers say its supply and demand..? If consumers would stop buying lettuce for 2 weeks Demand would fall as well as prices. Instead they go cry on TV and blame the Government. Or the middlemen.

Years ago I bought a pair of shoes in Buenos Aires for over 800.000 "somethings" - pesos, Ley, Australes, whatevers. With figures like that, nothing seemed real. I visited every two years, and often found that bank notes left over from a previous trip had become purely decorative.

Last edited:
Well consumers deserve the price gouging. Lettuce goes from $100 pesos to $800 pesos in a week . Grocers say its supply and demand..? If consumers would stop buying lettuce for 2 weeks Demand would fall as well as prices. Instead they go cry on TV and blame the Government. Or the middlemen.
It’s the panic buying mentality/ phycological/ FOMO damage caused by living too long in Argentina!
If things look scarce, buy them immediately because maybe something is going on and tomorrow you won’t be able to.

It’s like watching the last medialuna filled with Dulce de Leche sitting on the shelf in a bakery be snapped up by the customer in front of you, who was buying only bread, but then saw it was the last one of something so had to have it before you could have it. Just in case. It’s not even to do with the price at that point.

Anyone noticed it's impossible to shop for something online? you look around at items that appear to be the same but the prices appear to be widely varied by vendor. Am I buying the same thing? New/used? it basically kills the desire to buy anything that I can't put my hands/eyes on prior to purchase. Being in the interior it's pretty much impossible to get anything other than the very basic goods.

Anyone noticed it's impossible to shop for something online? you look around at items that appear to be the same but the prices appear to be widely varied by vendor. Am I buying the same thing? New/used? it basically kills the desire to buy anything that I can't put my hands/eyes on prior to purchase. Being in the interior it's pretty much impossible to get anything other than the very basic goods.
Yep prices are in the twilight zone again - no one knows how much they should be selling things for as no one knows how the replacement value will be. Especially if it’s imported or has imported components. Add to that in FEB wages adjustments will hit most sectors as well as higher energy costs and every business is trying to calculate how much they will need next month.

It’s not just online goods. The other day went to a bar and two glasses of very average wine cost $1200, prices recently adjusted from previous week. The next day went to a fancy restaurant and had a 5 course brunch with average wine for $1300 each. Price doesn’t imply quality or quantity, simply luck and timing.

Back