Washington Post article

LA’s skid row is like nothing I’m ever seen...reports have it that there are at least 50,000 people in the county who are homeless. With the mental health, addiction and poverty issues, it is so expensive to provide truly helpful services for that population.
In comparison, BA is tidy...much cleaner now than I’ve ever seen it.

LA’s skid row is like nothing I’m ever seen...reports have it that there are at least 50,000 people in the county who are homeless. With the mental health, addiction and poverty issues, it is so expensive to provide truly helpful services for that population.
In comparison, BA is tidy...much cleaner now than I’ve ever seen it.

Ries says 80,000 in NYC alone.

Access to the Washington Post article is blocked. Could you post it in its entirety? Thanks...!

Try this: https://outline.com/EEkrm6 Works for me in Firefox under Linux.

And I think it was someone on BAExpats who taught me about outline.com All credit to them and thanks very much!

The outline tip is from @camberiu, big thanks to him.

In the case of the Washington Post, it’s much easier - simply copy/paste the URL only up to and including the .html, omitting the rest - especially the piece with utm_term.

They give you up to 5 articles per month without a subscription. If you’ve passed 5, a private or incognito browser window normally bypasses the counter.

BTW an Amazon Prime account includes a year free of the Washington Post. I happen to prefer it to the NYT big time.

Ries says 80,000 in NYC alone.

It's estimated there are well over half a million homeless in the USA. That includes many that are homeless but earning - living in vehicles, with friends, etc, but cannot afford to rent where they work. Silicon Valley is a good example.

Homelessness is a serious growing problem in the first world but being homeless in the first world is a hell of alot better than being so in Argentina. Also shouldn't we be talking about poverty as well? Argentina smokes the first world when it comes to % of those living in poverty - MILLIONS in desperate or highly precarious living conditions.

I've never been to LA but I always think of it as a glamorous place. Think Hollywood, the Oscars, movie stars....etc.
But somebody posted Youtube videos on the dark side of LA. It shows block after block of people living in tents in the city streets.
Very sad and shocking. Governor Jerry Brown and Eric Garcetti the Mayor of LA should be voted out of office ASAP.

I think the warm LA weather and easy drug access make it a deadly combination.
Makes me feel grateful for what I have.

Last edited:
The difference is los ángeles and SF don't have favellas. So the homeless live amongst the wealthy in urban centers. Also we have a huge problem with drugs so the majority of homeless you see wandering the street are drug addicts. There are very few homeless who are mentally stable. If you have your wits and are homeless there are virtually unlimited resources. So, unlike Argentina, it is really uncommon to see a family begging in front of a supermarket or digging through trash cans. Instead there are thousands of mentally-ill or drug addicted homeless wandering the streets.

I've never been to LA but I always think of it as a glamorous place. Think Hollywood, the Oscars, movie stars....etc.
But somebody posted Youtube videos on the dark side of LA. It shows block after block of people living in tents in the city streets.
Very sad and shocking. Governor Jerry Brown and Eric Garcetti the Mayor of LA should be voted out of office ASAP.

I think the warm LA weather and easy drug access make it a deadly combination.
Makes me feel grateful for what I have.

My condo in LA is just a few blocks from skid row. I doubt there is any solution...we throw tens of millions of dollars at our homeless problem. But if you're addicted to drugs there's not much we can do.

Homelessness is a serious growing problem in the first world but being homeless in the first world is a hell of alot better than being so in Argentina. Also shouldn't we be talking about poverty as well? Argentina smokes the first world when it comes to % of those living in poverty - MILLIONS in desperate or highly precarious living conditions.
This is very true. Here I encounter families begging outside supermarkets etc, down the street from an expensive furniture store. And I imagine the favellas here are just a whole other story. That doesn't exist in the US.

Back