Wearing A Suit In Ba?

stevec

Registered
Hola!

I've been enjoying and learning from the forum; thanks all for your contributions.

My girlfriend and I'll be spending a few months in BA (arriving mid-April).

We're keen on arts and culture: concerts, art galleries, museums etc...

The forum seems to have some contradictory reports about dress standards. For evenings out, is it worth me bringing a suit or two? Say for a nice meal or a trip to the Opera? Or will it languish in the cupboard?

Thanks for your advice
Steve

Don't bring a suit. My boyfriend brought one and it's not seen the light of day (or night) in the five months we've been here. Dress shirt and tie is sufficient for even a nice event. We went to Teatro Colon and most people were pretty casual even there. Some of the old guard still wear suits at milongas, but even most of them leave the suit jackets home now. Save the space in your suitcase for stuff you will really need.

No Suit...!! maybe a Sara Blazer and designer DG jeans....!! just casual

blazer-hombre-casual-negro-fit-slim-nuevo-talle-s_MLA-O-3415654661_112012.jpg

Dress down anywhere anytime in BA. If you plan to travel to Patagonia, bring Winter clothing.

I get a fair amount of use out of my suits and I don't wear them to work. Bust mostly I just do a blazer + dress shirt & slacks. Trust me 99% people going to the Opera in any sort of reasonable seat are going to be dressed nicely. No tux required but I've sometimes even worn a tie ( and I hate ties). There are also a lot of Gala events that you would definitely be out of place with out a jacket, never been to anything black tie but I know they do exist. For eating out, most of the nice places are pretty mixed, you'll have the foreigners in jeans and a sweatshirt and the Argentines in suits.

I get a fair amount of use out of my suits and I don't wear them to work. Bust mostly I just do a blazer + dress shirt & slacks. Trust me 99% people going to the Opera in any sort of reasonable seat are going to be dressed nicely. No tux required but I've sometimes even worn a tie ( and I hate ties). There are also a lot of Gala events that you would definitely be out of place with out a jacket, never been to anything black tie but I know they do exist. For eating out, most of the nice places are pretty mixed, you'll have the foreigners in jeans and a sweatshirt and the Argentines in suits.

If you want to mingle with the Ritz and attend Gala functions for charity affairs, formal wear is a must even black tie, for ladies an original Valentino, Aramani, or even a Cozano, shoes by Laboutuon, DG Original purses a must :D

Even in business offices, you will not often find a suit. Don't bother bringing one.

Thanks, all. Sounds like I can get away with just a blazer most of the time; I don't anticipate too much mxing with the ritzy set on my grad student scholarship...except maybe on the receiving end of their benevolence.

Saw an old bloke with white hair and moustache wearing a mustard suit shirt and tie,he looked the business and that was today around 2pm.

Back