Wearing a suit to work - Is it dying a death

Liam3494

Registered
There was an article on the BBC web site about the decline of the suit within the workplace, obviously with the emphasis being on the UK. But it got me thinking as to the wearing of suits here in Argentina, within work. Whilst I appreciate that most of us ex-pat types probably work in a more casual style, those that are working here, what are your views on the appearance of workers in office environments, and is the suit a thing of the past here (if it was ever as omnipresent as in teh UK).

I worked in the finance industry for most of my working life in the UK and Ireland, and wore a suit to work every day for the first 20 years of my working life, but gradually a more casual style evolved, and in recent times, my ties gathered dust, and eventually the suits were not replaced, and white shirts turned to polo type shirts...

I do wonder what people here think, and is a suit an indication of authority/power? Any thoughts?

Here is the original article....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12418046

In my limited experience with business meetings in Argentina there remains a strong emphasis on wearing a suit and tie. Traditional dress codes for restaurants have certainly changed over the past couple of years....even at such venerable institutions as the restaurants at the Alvear Palace...but for business purposes tradition appears to rule.

I always feel bad for those guys that wear suits and ties on the subway, when its 40 degrees outside and about 23912093810938 degrees inside. You can just see them feeling tortured.

Back