Western Union money transfer

Has anyone else noticed that they've started charging a fee? I used to be able to transfer from my bank account in the U.S. without any fee...
Yes! It seems to have started today (Oct 18). I did a transfer yesterday bank to bank with no fee. Today I made a transfer and there was a US$6.00 fee! (I cancelled it.)

I tested a new transfer with various amounts and it seems to always be 6%.

This changes the very nice rate of 193.30 pesos to the dollar to 181.70 pesos to the dollar!!!

Back to the dollar blue, cash and cuevas. (Maybe, depending on how the rates evolve.)

Time for a boycott of Western Union.

Last edited:
$5000 with a credit card comes to $137. If you have a 2% rewards card it is really $37.

Last edited:
Yes! It seems to have started today (Oct 18). I did a transfer yesterday bank to bank with no fee. Today I made a transfer and there was a US$6.00 fee! (I cancelled it.)

I tested a new transfer with various amounts and it seems to always be 6%.

This changes the very nice rate of 193.30 pesos to the dollar to 181.70 pesos to the dollar!!!

Back to the dollar blue, cash and cuevas. (Maybe, depending on how the rates evolve.)

Time for a boycott of Western Union.
By my calculations as of today $1000 USD sent by Western Union for cash pickup gives you $1947 USD worth of Pesos at the official exchange rate. Seems worth the fee to me.

By my calculations as of today $1000 USD sent by Western Union for cash pickup gives you $1947 USD worth of Pesos at the official exchange rate. Seems worth the fee to me.

yeah not sure how exactly people can just boycott it and use a cueva unless you travel a lot to withdraw dollars

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent gov changes. Maybe wu is getting hit and needs to makeup the profit directly from the customer to make it worth providing service here. Either way the rate is still worth it if you do not have access to cash dollars to change with locals. It is even worth it if you do not want to take a shit load of pesos to the bank for deposit.

And, as of this afternoon, the fee to use a debit card for a $500 transfer is $29.95 and the fee to use a credit card is $24.50.

The bank to bank transfer fee is now $29.95 for the $500 transfer.

This morning it was zero.

Last edited:
PS to my previous post:

Cash pick up in Argentina is now slightly cheaper if the fends are sent from the bank or using a debit card.,

For a transfer of $500 USD the fee is $25 USD if sent using a debit card and $28 if sent from the bank account.

The fee to use a credit card is higher: $40.50.

But it looks like the fee if payng cash in the USA to send to a bank account in Argentina or for cash pick up in Argentina is only $8.00 USD

Last edited:
So paying with a CC is approx 3% and if you have 2% cash back your net fee is only 1%.

Edit, looks like the % varies by dollar amount.

Back