Western Union money transfer

It's definitely bad. And I always feel bad for the suffering of the argentinos, which in my neighborhood I see every day. I also worry about the increase in crime.

But it's not our fault. And I don't see anyone here gloating.

Moreover, this time there is no windfall for people with dollars -- more the opposite -- at least for now. Look at the links I posted a day or two ago, and the example of Quilombo.

The dollar (blue, etc.) has been trailing inflation by a lot for a very long time now. Many, many months. It was finally beginning to catch up, but with the way that this crisis unfolded with Guzmán resigning, the situation for many people with dollars may actually be worse.

Right now it's a bad situation for everybody.

Expats spending in the local economy is a positive, full stop.

What is the WU rate today ?

It's only a mirage. You laugh all the way to WU office to collect your pesos, hallelujah you got $274.50 for you dollars. So you go shopping for what you needed and find out the price overnight increased more than the dollar rate..! It's like a dog biting its tail..!
In lunfardo "Engaña Pichanga" ?

Point in case my favorite Mac ice cream cone went up this week from $100 to $120 pesos , Way over the dollar gain against the peso this month..!

I was by the WU offices on Cordoba around 4pm. The little side office on Parana was closed, and the big one on the corner with Montevideo was backed out the door and east along Cordoba 1/3 of the way down the block.

I had been told that there is usually an afternoon lull around 4pm, but at least in this case it was definitely not true.

I was by the WU offices on Cordoba around 4pm. The little side office on Parana was closed, and the big one on the corner with Montevideo was backed out the door and east along Cordoba 1/3 of the way down the block.

I had been told that there is usually an afternoon lull around 4pm, but at least in this case it was definitely not true.

Wow on an 8th. of the month ? Argentina is really unpredictable . Near me at a Cueva in Santa Fe Ave. the line was backed out the door? Mostly everyone selling or buying ?

WU 282.35
as of 10pm July 8
Wow. That's really late. I checked around 7:30pm and it hadn't changed. I figured that was it for the weekend.

The amount is very disappointing, considering a CCL somewhere around 300, which they knew if they set the price so late. Hopefully they'll bring it up (if CCL doesn't fall). It's especially disappointing combined with the lack of a 100% promo code.

Wow. That's really late. I checked around 7:30pm and it hadn't changed. I figured that was it for the weekend.

The amount is very disappointing, considering a CCL somewhere around 300, which they knew if they set the price so late. Hopefully they'll bring it up (if CCL doesn't fall). It's especially disappointing combined with the lack of a 100% promo code.
it's not really based on CCL per se, there is no one "checking" and adjusting the rate. I have figured that the rate is often influenced by the movement trend than the actual price. The rate moves toward the CCL slower when the jump is followed by a drop. Aa it's the case this week. In this case there was another jump today but it would be reflected next week. I expect the WU rate to settle at around 293 on Monday.

it's not really based on CCL per se, there is no one "checking" and adjusting the rate. I have figured that the rate is often influenced by the movement trend than the actual price. The rate moves toward the CCL slower when the jump is followed by a drop. Aa it's the case this week. In this case there was another jump today but it would be reflected next week. I expect the WU rate to settle at around 293 on Monday.
Well, I'm not sure my observations agree with yours, but I certainly don't know who's setting the rates, or how. Back in January, the rate frequently exceeded the CCL, and by a lot, but the government had different rules in place then. In the last few weeks I've several times seen the WU rate set within one or two pesos of the CCL reported by Ambito. I think they use the AL30 bond for the CCL calculation. I'd be surprised if the rate is somehow set automatically, because they make money on the difference in rates. But I suppose it's possible.

By the way, I noticed that MG changed their rates tonight, too, and they had already changed them in the morning.

I decided to ask WU customer service for lower fees. I already knew the answer, and the general form it would take, including it's "unusual" grammar, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Here is the salient part of the chat:
WU: Could you please elaborate your concern?

Me: I want much lower transfer fees, like another person in our group. The transfer fees are very high, and his fees are 2.99 for debit card and 1.99 for bank to bank, regardless of the amount of the transfer.

WU: Fee is charged according to account and it vary upon sending and receiving country and amount of transfer it can not change by our side as this is company policy.

Me: Do you have a promo code I can use to transfer money from the USA with zero fee?

WU: Sorry we not able to provide promo code by our side its system generated and you can check in application or website only. I understand you want promocode however that is given only in your account.

Me: It's ok. Have a good day.

WU: You Too, Is there anything else that I may assist you with?

Me: I will just tell you that many people in our group have started to use MoneyGram for their transfers. The rates are competitive, and the service is better. Our group is in Argentina. You may want to provide this information to your bosses. For now, I am still using Western Union, but I don't know for how much longer.

WU: Surely we take your feedback for our betterment and forward to our concern team and surely they look for it.
Me: You have a nice day.

Back