Western Union money transfer

Sorry for asking a noob question here, but is it possible to send dollars and pick up dollars rather than pesos at WU or Ria? I don't see that option on the app, but I've heard it suggested that it's possible to do that.
It’s possible in somes countries but not in argentina

It’s possible in somes countries but not in argentina
Actually, it is possible, you can bring in up to USD 12,000 per year legally, and if you do it via bank transfer (SWIFT), you can have them deposited directly to your USD account here (if you have one), and withdraw the USD cash at your convenience. You must declare the amounts to AFIP, and they must fit one of the categories mentioned in COM A 7518.

Basically, the funds arrive via SWIFT at your bank here, they notify you, you go to your bank in person with the AFIP declaration (mentioning the BCRA category), fill out another form (probably ARG 1287) to authorize the deposit to your account, and you're done.

Actually, it is possible, you can bring in up to USD 12,000 per year legally, and if you do it via bank transfer (SWIFT), you can have them deposited directly to your USD account here (if you have one), and withdraw the USD cash at your convenience. You must declare the amounts to AFIP, and they must fit one of the categories mentioned in COM A 7518.

Basically, the funds arrive via SWIFT at your bank here, they notify you, you go to your bank in person with the AFIP declaration (mentioning the BCRA category), fill out another form (probably ARG 1287) to authorize the deposit to your account, and you're done.
He asked if he can do it using WU.

I tried to buy some fancy boots today with cash reais and the guy told me PESOS ONLY, couldn't get him to change his mind for nothing. He helpfully offered that I could pay with a foreign card (at MEP) for a 10% fee.

I asked him if the price would be the same in pesos on Monday and he said yes. What a circus, guess I pick up my new boots Monday at a discount.

I tried to buy some fancy boots today with cash reais and the guy told me PESOS ONLY, couldn't get him to change his mind for nothing. He helpfully offered that I could pay with a foreign card (at MEP) for a 10% fee.

I asked him if the price would be the same in pesos on Monday and he said yes. What a circus, guess I pick up my new boots Monday at a discount.

Literally everyone expects the peso to crash on Monday after elections (at least a 10-20% move). I would think all stores will update their prices immediately, they might even overcorrect so they end up with higher prices in usd for a few days while the peso keeps crashing.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on how prices on big items work. As far as I know brand stores or other clothing stores don't update their prices daily like a supermarket.

Last edited:
Literally everyone expects the peso to crash on Monday after elections (at least a 10-20% move). I would think all stores will update their prices immediately, they might even overcorrect so they end up with higher prices in usd for a few days while the peso keeps crashing.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on how prices on big items work. As far as I know brand stores or other clothing stores don't update their prices daily like a supermarket.
I think in situations like you're predicting, shops simply won't sell their goods until prices have stabilized somewhat. At least so they need to update at most once per day. I suggest making essential purchases and stocking up before Sunday. There's also the "ley seca" to take into account (you can see what I consider an essential purchase :) ):

"La ley establece que está prohibida la venta de bebidas alcohólicas “desde las 20 horas del día anterior a la elección y hasta tres horas después de finalizado el acto electoral".

Back