Western Union money transfer

....and again...I tried to send money from my account in the states to be picked up by me...here. A guess is that sending to oneself is not going to be accepted by WU, period.

Didn´t you previously post that you sent $700 to yourself that is still waiting for you to pick up (but can´t at the moment because the agencies that can dispense that much at one time are closed )?

The first time you sent funds to yourself you should have received a confirmation email asking the recipient to provide additional information (complete and submit a form online).

If you have not done so, that may be the reason your transfers are now being blocked.

As I previousl,y posted, I made an error when I submited the form and my transfers were blocked until I submitted a corrected form (declaration).

Perhaps WU has a rule which prohibits making or receiving additonal transfers to yourself while you already have one in the pipleline, but that semms less likely to be the reason than not having completed the required declaration.

Didn´t you previously post that you sent $700 to yourself that is still waiting for you to pick up (but can´t at the moment because the agencies that can dispense that much at one time are closed )?

The first time you sent funds to yourself you should have received a confirmation email asking the recipient to provide additional information (complete and submit a form online).

If you have not done so, that may be the reason your transfers are now being blocked.

As I previousl,y posted, I made an error when I submited the form and my transfers were blocked until I submitted a corrected form (declaration).

Perhaps WU has a rule which prohibits making or receiving additional transfers to yourself while you already have one in the pipleline, but that semms less likely to be the reason than not having completed the required declaration.
No...the $700 was sent to me by another person, and I canceled it thinking it was too much money. Transfers from my brother are now being completed without any problem. In the end I have no idea what the original problem was....myself to myself for cash pickup. And your last comment about pipeline is a thought.....the $700 had not been canceled when I tried the transfer to myself.

In the end I have no idea what the original problem was....myself to myself for cash pickup.

I´m not sure why that happened. All of my transfers from myeslf to myself have been completed, but I´ve only sent funds to my Argentine bank account.

Right before the quarantine I tried to do a cash pickup but decided it wasn't worth the risk. I was surprised to not see the transaction in my WU App because I didn't think I canceled it. So then I look in my bank account and I find the transaction. In my bank account debit card transaction history it fortunately gives the MTCN number. So I do a transaction search in WU and it says the money is ready to be picked up. I don't understand why that transaction doesn't appear in my WU History. Will WU refund your money after a certain period of time if the transaction is not completed? This particular transaction appears in my bank history as Mar 23.

I´m not sure why that happened. All of my transfers from myeslf to myself have been completed, but I´ve only sent funds to my Argentine bank account.
And I have surmised from the beginning that a WU transfer to a bank account provides better compliance for the regulators than just sending to a pickup location. The acceptance by a bank is better confirmation of identity than a pick up in person.....legally....and thus less liability for WU. From the get go the transfer, to be picked up, was 'under review', then later backed out by WU.

Hello Steve....how do you get the money out of your local bank account....what are the limits or restrictions on withdrawals?

Hello Steve....how do you get the money out of your local bank account....what are the limits or restrictions on withdrawals?
I haven´t made a cash withdrawal at the bank or used an ATM to withdraw money out of my local bank account in years.

I pay for almost everything (including purchases at the local shops in the nearby village) with my Aergentine credit card.

When I need cash I get it at the Cooperativa Obrera supermarkets in Punta Alta when I make a purchase with my Aergentine debit card.

PS: The current limit is $8.000 pesos per purchase with a $100 peso minimum, but if I wanted to, I could make two separate $100 peso purchases (without gettin back in line and going through the checkout line a second time) and get $16.000 pesos as well as pay for the rest of the items I´m buying with my Argentine credit card.

Last edited:
Wow! It worked. The test transfer of self sender to self receiver using Pay: US Debit card to Deposit: ARG bank account came through, and in the time WU predicted. Sent on Monday , received in Argentina account end of day Wednesday. No fees.
*The receiver of this transfer got an e-mail indicating the receiver might be required to complete a form before receiving the funds. There was a link to more information. But the link went to a page indicating the page was out of date. I read elsewhere WU is no longer requiring that form / doc. Western Union 'Wheel of Fortune'
Today I received an e-mail, as the receiver of this transfer to bank account, from WU, advising as a first time receiver "By provision of Argentine regulations, you must comply with the following registration steps to ensure the deposit in future transactions". There was a website link in the e-mail to the registration form. A very functional, easy registration form in Spanish provided, taking 3 minutes to complete. Done.

Back