Western Union money transfer

Can someone explain the process for me for sending money from WU to an Argentinian bank account that is not mine? So far I have just been transferring to myself and picking it up in cash at a WU but with what is going on and the availability of cash I am wondering if I can WU my rent money straight into the owners Argentinian bank account.

What's involved? Is it the same as the above? Does the owner have to print something, go to a branch etc? If so then the end result is the same!

Can someone explain the process for me for sending money from WU to an Argentinian bank account that is not mine? So far I have just been transferring to myself and picking it up in cash at a WU but with what is going on and the availability of cash I am wondering if I can WU my rent money straight into the owners Argentinian bank account.
What's involved? Is it the same as the above? Does the owner have to print something, go to a branch etc? If so then the end result is the same!
Posted on Friday, March 20
jblaze5779 said:
i sent a couple grand a few days ago. I'll keep yall filled in over the next week
Stantucker said: going to try to send some now as well. I guess the worse that happens is that the money is not processed here and is returned to my bank in US, even though I realize that return might take a while. The exchange rate is too good to pass up, even though it will most likely just keep going up. Thanks, guys.

Posted on Friday, March 20

Stantucker said: going to try to send some now as well. I guess the worse that happens is that the money is not processed here and is returned to my bank in US, even though I realize that return might take a while. The exchange rate is too good to pass up, even though it will most likely just keep going up. Thanks, guys.
I was sent money from the U.S. to be picked up at WU. I assume the money is sitting there in the system ready to be picked up. Contrary to someone worrying about missing this exchange rate 'opportunity', I worry that while I am supposed to receive 88.9 or so that the rate might go to 100 while I am waiting for my money.

Hello people, I been following this thread for last months and i will to bring you some information.
I made some transactions using WU, from US bank account receiving the money on a Banco Nacion account here in Argentina, always works. Once they (WU) receive payment in US , I guess they made an electronic transfer between their local bank account to client local bank account, there is no international transfer. The transaction appears as "CR.TR.INTERB" on Banco Nacion. On this site: https://www.fontana.com.ar/2016/01/30/homebanking-y-sus-abreviaturas/ the explanation is: "Transferencia interbancaria. Suele aparecer estas siglas en los movimientos de la cuenta destino luego de una transferencia .(Banco Macro)".

I hope this way (US Bank - AR Bank) start to work again next wednesday march 23.

Can you send money to a savings account (cuenta de ahorros)? I have a friend of 10 years in Zona Norte that's laid up in bed with a possible second bout of dengue after losing her job as a hair dresser (when it rains - it pours). She only has a savings account and I've tried to enter the data but I can't get it accepted by WU.

Do you have to have a checking account?

Can you send money to a savings account (cuenta de ahorros)? I have a friend of 10 years in Zona Norte that's laid up in bed with a possible second bout of dengue after losing her job as a hair dresser (when it rains - it pours). She only has a savings account and I've tried to enter the data but I can't get it accepted by WU.

You can send to a savings account (caja de ahorros).

WU forms are different for different countries, but as a rule of the thumb, sender should say that origin of money is "Personal Savings" (not "Income"), and this is "Family Help" and he is not a tax resident in the country he is sending the money from.

Savings accounts are OK to send money to.

Are you using the CBU as opposed to the account number?

For what it´s worth:

I have made a total of four transfers to myself using WU in the past four months.

I haven´t changed any of my personal information since making the first transfer.

I sent funds from my US bank account to my Argentine bank (savings) account using my Charles Schwab debit card.

I provided the CBU for my Santander Rio savings account

I provided my US address when entering the "billing" information of my debit card.

I provided my home address in Argentina for the recipient.

I inculded my Argentine cell phone number as the sender (phone number not required for the recipient)

I indicated the purpose of the transfer was Family Help.

I indicated my nationality as the sender was the United States.I don´t remember if I was required to indicate the nationality of the recipient. I would remeber if I had indicated if I was Argentine and I´m sure I did not do so.

I don´t remember if I was asked provide any information regarding the source of the funds.I don´t think I did.

PS: All of my transfers were just under $500 USD.

Last edited:
Savings accounts are OK to send money to.

Are you using the CBU as opposed to the account number?
That's great to hear. My WU interface is in English and I think part of the problem is trying to match up the terminology. I'll give it another shot. When I entered the account number it wouldn't even move to the next field - as if the account number was the wrong number of digits..

When they ask for recipient's address, do they mean the banks address or the home address of the recipient.

Last edited:
Back