Western Union money transfer

Andrew,
You could try other post offices and hope to get a clerk who is not diligent when looking at your foreign passport!

Last edited:
Western Union is promoting this online site for locating WU branches. It includes an option to show locations, by map and also by exact street address and a toggle for revealing locations Open Now.. How accurate that feature turns out to be here at BA remains to be seen.

Western Union is promoting this online site for locating WU branches. It includes an option to show locations, by map and also by exact street address and a toggle for revealing locations Open Now.. How accurate that feature turns out to be here at BA remains to be seen.

TOTALLY INACCURATE AS THE INFORMATION HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED IN 9 DAYS SINCE THE QUARANTINE CAME INTO EFFECT!

The only WU outlets which function are located in Correo ARG offices. Their schedules vary from office to office. In my branch in Caballito one day they will open from 11:00-7:00pm, the next 9:00-3:00pm (as it happened yesterday). That info is only posted on the door of each establishment when the first employee arrives. Ditto in the branches in Parque Centenario, Villa Crespo, Almagro and Boedo. This week I have walked to those offices to
check out their activity first hand. Great exercise!

TOTALLY INACCURATE AS THE INFORMATION HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED IN 9 DAYS SINCE THE QUARANTINE CAME INTO EFFECT!
The only WU outlets which function are located in Correo ARG offices. Their schedules vary from office to office. In my branch in Caballito one day they will open from 11:00-7:00pm, the next 9:00-3:00pm (as it happened yesterday). That info is only posted on the door of each establishment when the first employee arrives. Ditto in the branches in Parque Centenario, Villa Crespo, Almagro and Boedo. This week I have walked to those offices to
check out their activity first hand. Great exercise!
Understood and thank you for your footwork in chasing down Correo Argentina WU and what one can expect there. I share your frustrations.
On the other hand WU can update the information in their app, there is all ready a highlight on each location listing remarking the hours may not be correct.
I consider it still useful because it gives the street address and maps the locations on an enlargeable map, and provides a phone number at each location, all in one place. Whenever their WU outlets do open again it may be possible to contact them without having to walk there to find out if open, what's available etc..

A friend processed a transfer to herself through XOOM this week. She went to MORE MONEY on Libertad and the place was closed, so she is stuck without cash for her rent. I would be in the same situation if I hadn't opened a local bank account last year.

Just posting so that those who pick up their cash transfers are aware that these agents are closed for business.

I did my first bank to bank transfer using Western Union yesterday. I opened a free Banco Ciudad account last year and they told me I could only move between around 20,000 and 25,000 pesos a month through the account. Are you using Western Union for your transfers? Also do you know, or does anyone know what is the maximum amount you can transfer to your Banco Ciudad account each month or where I might find that information on their website?

I did my first bank to bank transfer using Western Union yesterday. I opened a free Banco Ciudad account last year and they told me I could only move between around 20,000 and 25,000 pesos a month through the account. Are you using Western Union for your transfers? Also do you know, or does anyone know what is the maximum amount you can transfer to your Banco Ciudad account each month or where I might find that information on their website?

https://www.cronista.com/finanzasme...sal-gratuita-de-los-bancos-20150716-0045.html Copyright © www.cronista.com
Cuenta Universal Gratuita...the maximum amount of pesos that can be held at any given time in this type of savings account is AR$18.000. That I know of, the amount has not been increased since July, 2015.

Macanudo,
You should speak to a bank rep at your branch to obtain the details re: international transfers to the Cuenta Universal Gratuita account.

Last edited:
Thanks for you help Gracielle! I was trying to contact the bank yesterday but could not get through. I received an email from them on March 19 saying that my daily withdrawal limit at ATMs was raised to 25,000. Also there was a link to home banking to raise the daily limit to 39,000 pesos.
Recordá que las extracciones en nuestros cajeros son gratuitas y que podés ampliar el límite hasta $39.000 por Home Banking. So maybe the monthly limit has also increased because of the quarantine.

Last edited:
Thanks for you help Gracielle! I was trying to contact the bank yesterday but could not get through. I received an email from them on March 19 saying that my daily withdrawal limit at ATMs was raised to 25,000. Also there was a link to home banking to raise the daily limit to 39,000 pesos.
Recordá que las extracciones en nuestros cajeros son gratuitas y que podés ampliar el límite hasta $39.000 por Home Banking. So maybe the monthly limit has also increased because of the quarantine.
That is excellent news. Customer service telephone lines at Banco Ciudad have not been operable March 23-27. Will resume on March 30th when all the banks re-open to the public.

That is excellent news. Customer service telephone lines at Banco Ciudad have not been operable March 23-27. Will resume on March 30th when all the banks re-open to the public.
Where did you hear that the banks will re-open on March 30th?

Back