Western Union money transfer

Is the bitcoin way, form-free, ...
You mean no declaration form? You need to register with the exchange in Argentina once. They ask you the similar questions to the WU declaration.

The Bitcoin way is faster. From sending the Bitcoin to receiving the pesos on your account it takes half a day or a day tops. But it is more work. You need to purchase the crypto currency first. Then send it. Wait for the confirmations. The sell the at the Argentinian exchange and finally request the transfer of the pesos to your bank account. So, WU ist definitely easier to do.

Regarding stable coins (crypto currency pegged to the dollar) not all exchanges in Argentina may have them. Or the exchange rate for them may be less interesting than if you used Bitcoin. But you are right there is little volatility with them.
Ok, but considering the current situation, do you think the WU way is still possible or all these forms they are requesting is just a hidden ban to do it? Meaning is it still possible to transfer via WU, or not anymore?

Ok, but considering the current situation, do you think the WU way is still possible or all these forms they are requesting is just a hidden ban to do it? Meaning is it still possible to transfer via WU, or not anymore?
Let's see if my 4th transfer goes through. If it does then maybe they just have a backlog?

Let's see if my 4th transfer goes through. If it does then maybe they just have a backlog?

knowing Argentina it might just be that they've set their email account to auto-reply to every single incoming email with the same thing and attaching the same form

Question....before I moved here in February I used to imagine running off to Uruguay and pick up my transfers there in dollars. Was that ever a reality? This is before what became the WU premium.

Question....before I moved here in February I used to imagine running off to Uruguay and pick up my transfers there in dollars. Was that ever a reality? This is before what became the WU premium.
It is a reality. ATM's in Uruguay continue to deliver dollars. I don't know about WU cash transfers if paid in dollars. The issue is how are you going to get to Colonia or Montevideo...borders are currently closed to air, land and sea due to the pandemic.

With blue dollar at 138, is it normal that WU rate says 121?
The "Contado con Liqui" rate is the rate for legally transferring dollars in/out of Argentina which is done through purchasing/selling bonds or ADRs (argentine stocks which trade in the US - there are only like 17 of them). This can be done through a brokerage account. And this is the rate that WU align to. The Contado con Liqui is currently between 121/122 as can be seen on https://dolarhoy.com/

the blue rate is typically for dealing with physical USD dollar bills and is technically illegal

The WU branches in Colonia will pay in USD, I called them and they confirmed this. You have to call in advance to make sure they have the dollars ready. You may even use the branch in the BUQUEBUS terminal in Colonia.
The glitch is that the ships are not running now, until the end of the pandemic I believe.

Back