Western Union money transfer

The Bitcoin way is faster. From sending the Bitcoin to receiving the pesos on your account it takes half a day or a day tops. But it is more work. You need to purchase the crypto currency first. Then send it. Wait for the confirmations. The sell the at the Argentinian exchange and finally request the transfer of the pesos to your bank account. So, WU ist definitely easier to do.

Regarding stable coins (crypto currency pegged to the dollar) not all exchanges in Argentina may have them. Or the exchange rate for them may be less interesting than if you used Bitcoin. But you are right there is little volatility with them.
Would you be willing to write up a step by step (including details) tutorial on a bitcoin transfer? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it.

T/

With blue dollar at 138, is it normal that WU rate says 121?

This is recent. Due to recent changes in the CCL the rate has been lower than the blue. That and I think with reduced travel in/out the country from nationals and foreigners the supply of blue dollars is decreasing causing these illegal dollars to become higher in price. I normally bring my 10kusd with me when I fly back but have been locked out since the quarantine started, I imagine I'm not the one in this particular situation.

It is a reality. ATM's in Uruguay continue to deliver dollars. I don't know about WU cash transfers if paid in dollars. The issue is how are you going to get to Colonia or Montevideo...borders are currently closed to air, land and sea due to the pandemic.
Gracielle, are you suggesting better to have hard cash now than the WU rate?

Thank you....thinking for the future of course.
The WU branches in Colonia will pay in USD, I called them and they confirmed this. You have to call in advance to make sure they have the dollars ready. You may even use the branch in the BUQUEBUS terminal in Colonia.
The glitch is that the ships are not running now, until the end of the pandemic I believe.
Thank you for the update. This how I understood it last year before the quarantine. Obviously I am thinking about the future. Maybe a 'squadron' of members here could make a day of it.....in the future.

Yes, and the advantage of the branch in the BUQUEBUS terminal is SECURITY. It is surrounded by cops, and this way you eliminate the infamous "salideras", where a dishonest clerk will notifiy his fellows crooks of your recentet withawal, and will ambush you in any street corner.
You also could take the next boat back here, and reduce the expenses of the trip.

So, WU is not working, or not working for those that attempted their first transfers during the quarantine? I will try a transfer this week and see how it goes.

So, WU is not working, or not working for those that attempted their first transfers during the quarantine? I will try a transfer this week and see how it goes.
It s working just fine. I think however that there is a serious backlog to process the declarations after the first two transfers for those that submitted it after mid March. If the declaration has not been processed the system will automatically reject any transfer after the 2nd one.

Gracielle, are you suggesting better to have hard cash now than the WU rate?
Yes, at this particular time, the blue rate gives a higher return than WU. Sell at cuevas, especially if one needs over AR$35-45,000 pesos in one cash transaction....no questions asked. Bottom line it's anyone guess how it will be in the next couple of weeks or couple of months?

Back