Western Union money transfer

Anyone know if you need some type of permission form to be allowed to the Correo Argentino to pick up money from Western Union? Last time we did it, about a month ago, my wife had trouble with the police trying to explain what she was doing, while he was asking for her 'permiso'? Any ideas? Or just a misinformed police officer.

Was she driving/ taxing a taxi/ public transport?
Or this was at the post office?

If going by foot just carry shopping bags as you can always combine with a trip to the supermarket. Never been stopped on the streets in Palermo although have seen what looks like some random checks (but not by Police but by people in Hi Viz vests from the city)

On the last week of March I picked up a transfer at Correo Argentino in Caballito. No one in line was asked for a "permit" prior to entering the place.
How long ago did this incident happen? Is your wife a senior citizen?

It was the first week of April, and no, we are in our twenties, she's an extranjero with a DNI. If it makes a difference. It was on the street after she'd picked up the money and deposited in the bank, she showed the guy the receipt but it didn't have a date on it. The guy kept asking for the 'permiso' and any attempts for clarification weren't met with much information. We got lucky in that the bank transfers have been working, but now it's stopped for us she's going back and is a little concerned.

Was she driving/ taxing a taxi/ public transport?
Or this was at the post office?

If going by foot just carry shopping bags as you can always combine with a trip to the supermarket. Never been stopped on the streets in Palermo although have seen what looks like some random checks (but not by Police but by people in Hi Viz vests from the city)

No, just walking on the way back home after getting the money. The post office is like two blocks from our apartment in Recoleta. She was stopped on the corner of Santa Fe and Pueyrredón and asked for her DNI and what she was doing.

It was the first week of April, and no, we are in our twenties, she's an extranjero with a DNI. If it makes a difference. It was on the street after she'd picked up the money and deposited in the bank, she showed the guy the receipt but it didn't have a date on it. The guy kept asking for the 'permiso' and any attempts for clarification weren't met with much information. We got lucky in that the bank transfers have been working, but now it's stopped for us she's going back and is a little concerned.
VERY ODD....I don't know what to make of it.

We got lucky in that the bank transfers have been working, but now it's stopped for us she's going back and is a little concerned.
Sorry, can you clarify this statement?

No, just walking on the way back home after getting the money. The post office is like two blocks from our apartment in Recoleta. She was stopped on the corner of Santa Fe and Pueyrredón and asked for her DNI and what she was doing.

Interesting! Grocery shopping, entonces. I think now it is more relaxed as there are more legitimate possibilities of going out (appointments at banks, post offices, many kinds of shops, takeaway, medical appointments etc.) So you should be ok if asked to justify again.

Sorry, can you clarify this statement?

Yeah, it was really bizarre at the time and we couldn't make sense of it. It shook her up a bit too. To clarify the last bit, we were able to deposit straight to her bank account twice since this happened, so we haven't been in person to pick up money since. But there is now a problem with that system, so we have to go in person again.

Yeah, it was really bizarre at the time and we couldn't make sense of it. It shook her up a bit too. To clarify the last bit, we were able to deposit straight to her bank account twice since this happened, so we haven't been in person to pick up money since. But there is now a problem with that system, so we have to go in person again.
Thank you....I understand better now. It seems your wife may have run into an over-zealous public servant. Follow antipodean's suggestion re: carrying a shopping bag in full view and she should be fine.

Thank you....I understand better now. It seems your wife may have run into an over-zealous public servant. Follow antipodean's suggestion re: carrying a shopping bag in full view and she should be fine.
"over-zealous public servant". Very nice Gracielle.:)

About the the max amount you can withdraw: My friend asked at their main outlet ( Cordoba 885) and although she isn't quite sure about the amount in dollars (she didn't quite catch it), she's pretty sure the cashier said it would be 800-900k in peso.

Back