Western Union money transfer

¿Cómo transferir dinero dentro y fuera del país de manera legal?
Quite interesting article pointed at nationals, although extranjeros get a mention, on transferring money.
In addition there's an easy explanation of the CCL, which has eluded me since forever.
Contado con Liquidación / CCL: Known as "counted with liqui", it is a sale of bonds or stocks. A stock or bond of the debt that is also listed in New York is bought on the local Stock Exchange and the asset is transferred to the United States to sell it in that market, collect the dollars and deposit them in an account in a bank in that country. In return, an investor with an account in the United States must convert the same amount of shares or bonds that are listed there in their reflection on the Buenos Aires Stock Exchange. The exchange rate resulting from this operation (at how many dollars the equivalent of a share or local bond trades on Wall Street) determines the Cash with Settlement. For example, if a share operates at 294 pesos in the local market and abroad its equivalent is sold for 2 dollars, the implicit exchange rate (Cash with Settlement) is 147 pesos. Beyond the price, this operation carries a clear risk: in the middle of the asset transfer process, its price can go down and generate a loss for whoever used it to transfer money. The opposite would happen if the price rises, something that is not happening so frequently in our country.

Hello Everyone,
I have a question. Is there a monthly or yearly limit as to how much money you can receive in Argentina from the US? I see that per transaction there is a max cash pickup equivalent of $USD 5000, but didn't know if there was a yearly or monthly limit. From what I've read, there is only a limit sending out of Argentina ARS 335.000 monthly, or ARS 336.000 yearly. I appreciate your responses.
Thanks!

Hello Everyone,
I have a question. Is there a monthly or yearly limit as to how much money you can receive in Argentina from the US? I see that per transaction there is a max cash pickup equivalent of $USD 5000, but didn't know if there was a yearly or monthly limit. From what I've read, there is only a limit sending out of Argentina ARS 335.000 monthly, or ARS 336.000 yearly. I appreciate your responses.
Thanks!
I have sent myself more than 335,000 monthly no problem at all. It's most definitely not a yearly restriction. As long as it's direct to a bank account. Cash pick ups are different because the office where you pick it up needs to have the billetes, not sure how they operate. 5k USD sounds about right in terms of limit on a single transaction.

Hello Everyone,
Thanks!
If it helps, my bank HSBC Argentina, recently advised me that U$ transfers from US to my HSBC Arg U$ account has a monthly limit of U$1000.00

Is it standard to send $$$ WU and have the recipient in Argentina paid out at the BLUE DOLLAR RATE ? This has been happening for months now !

Is it standard to send $$$ WU and have the recipient in Argentina paid out at the BLUE DOLLAR RATE ? This has been happening for months now !
WU seems be aligned with the Contado con Liquidación / CCL not the Blue Dollar rate.

More or less. Months? Not it's been more than a year lol

You can actually get more than the blue with the cll is high. Been that way a couple times now. The highest WU rate I remember was around 180 for a few days.

WU was paying 150 yesterday, while the Blue was 148. But there have been times when WU was paying as much as 20 pesos less than the Blue.

My personal theory is that the remittance business is the other half of the CCL. Consider, with CCL they get pesos and pay out in dollars. With remittances they get dollars and pay out in pesos. So when the CCL is hot and heavy, they up the rate to encourage more remittance action. After all, WU doesn't want to get caught with a vault full of pesos if the ARS is suddenly devalued, do they?

I don't really like WU very much; I regard them as the moneychangers in the Temple. But I do admire and appreciate their competence and efficiency.

Back